Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Answered

Patch drywall before installing cabinets?

We are remodelling our kitchen.  The electricians cut long slots into the drywall below counter top level to run wires for new outlets and switch boxes.  These slots are about 3" tall and run just short of the width of the new cabinetry.  My question is, will I need to patch those slots in the drywall before installing the cabinets, or can I just ignore them since the cabinets would completely cover them up?  LIke is there some structural reason or something to do so?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-11-08T22:10:32+0000  by kdo463 kdo463

Hi kdo463,

Thank you for your question and welcome to our community.

Yes, by all means, clean up the wall before you add your cabinets.  For proper mounting of your new kitchen storage area, you will want a nice finished wall, not one that looks like Swiss Cheese.  I had a similar project done in my kitchen. 

I ripped out all of the old cabinets and then had an electrician rewire my entire kitchen and add lights in the ceiling as well.  There was nothing but holes in my walls.  I was amazed at how many flies found their way into my kitchen!!!  All because of all the holes in the wall and the ceiling!  As soon as all the holes were patched up I stopped getting invaded. This is what my kitchen looked like:

Kitchen remodel-electrical.jpg Kitchen remodel electrical1.jpg Kitchen remodel electrical 2.jpg

Kitchen remodel electrical3.jpg Kitchen remodel electrical4.jpg Kitchen remodel electrical5.jpg

Besides all the bugs that can come in if you do not patch up all the holes, the air flow will have been increased negatively:  Lots of heat loss in the winter and cool air loss during the summer.

My wife will not let me take any pictures of the finished product until the entire back splash has been put up.  I will try to sneak some picks of what we have so far!  We have new floors that look like wood flooring but they are all ceramic as well as nice walnut cabinets and granite counter tops.

Do the job right and finish off the walls before you add your cabinets.  You will be a happier camper I assure you!

Be sure to take pictures of your kitchen remodel and share them with the rest of the community in our Project Library under “I Did This”.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

This has been another of,

Best Answer

Posted 2013-11-08T23:15:23+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Thanks for the input, Rick.  I had at least one other person mention the air flow issue.  Never thought about insects.  So, yes, I will definitely pactch up all the holes.

What I've done since posting my question is to trim around all the holes in large rectangles to make it very easy to replace areas with new drywall.  Luckily about 90% of the patched areas will be behind cabinets, so all I need to do is tape and mud the seams once to seal everything off and I won't have to worry about texturing.

I'll try to post some photos of the project.  I'll be doing the majority of the work myself, so others might find them interesting.

~Keith

Posted 2013-11-14T21:34:22+0000  by kdo463

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+