Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Patio and Driveway

What kind of paint should I use to paint concrete. and should I seal the concrete before I paint?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-08-06T04:34:08+0000  by Chata Chata

Well where's the answer to my question
Posted 2015-08-06T04:35:08+0000  by Chata
Great question Chata!

Actually the steps you should take are:

1) Clean and etch to remove debris and open the pores of the concrete;

2) Stain or Paint with coating that is chemical and hot tire resistant; and

3) Although not necessary, you can add a clear coat.

Let's break it down one step at a time.

Behr Concrete Cleaner Etcher is perfect for removing automotive oil from you existing driveway. In addition, this acidic product will "etch" or remove a thin layer of concrete ... leaving the surface open to accept your new coating.

You must thoroughly rinse the entire surface with fresh water and allow it to dry completely before applying your new coating.

Personally, I prefer stain because it absorbs into the surface, leaving the traction of the concrete intact.

While just as durable, paint layers on top of the concrete and can be slightly slippery when wet.

Finally, you can apply Behr Low-Lustre Sealer or Behr Wet Look Sealer on top of either of these coatings.

My preference is to leave the surface coated, but not use additional sealer.

Why?

Because stain and paint both provide color and waterproofing.

So in the future you'll simply clean and re-coat either stain or paint.

If you add clear coat now, you'll have to remove the clear coat in the future when time to do maintenance to your concrete.

FINALLY:

While my preference would be stain, if you select stain you'll have the choice between semi-transparent and solid color.

Semi-transparent allows the color of the cement to show through, while solid color will create a uniform color across the entire surface.

Both products are water-based, so clean up is simply soap and water.
Posted 2015-08-06T14:32:51+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+