Sign In to join the community | Help
Outdoors

Patio pavers - Block, Brick, Concrete, or Polymer??

I have a 10x10 deck with hot tub, 12x10 gazebo, and need a walkway to them, base under gazebo tent for my outdoor rug and furniture, and grill area. Budget is tight and will be a DIY project. 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-03-19T17:08:36+0000  by Cyndi Cyndi

Hey there Cyndi,

Welcome to the Community!

It seems like everyone is on a budget and DIY is the way to go. Personally, I am no exception to that :smileyhappy:

Firstly, plan out how large you would like the walkway to be between your hot tub and gazebo.  I would say this wouldn't be a project that is going to break the bank, since we aren't going to be driving over it  and not using as many materials. 

The best pavers in your situation would be brick or masonry based such as a 12" x 12" or 4" x 8". 

I chose two pavers that we sell at your local Home Depot that are a great price, great look, and best of all, installs very easily; here is a picture of them below:

pavers2.JPG

As with any paving project, it starts first with the layout and foundation. Just like a house, a good solid ground is needed for your pavers to rest on. In fact, the sand and paver base plays a big role in the final look of your pavers, and its the least expensive thing to obtain. Digging out a depth of typically 3.5" is made to set up the walkway so you can make the area workable and level. If its an area of wet soil or historically poor soil, you may need to dig at a depth of 7" inches for your pavers. Getting a great paver base starts out as the foundation and choose a paver sand that is the same texture as your base material, allowing in a stronger bed. Best of all, the more effort you put into the base, the easier it will be to install the pavers when you get to that step.

paver3.JPG

Overtime, you will see that stronger sand/paver bedding means a flatter surface.  Usually a 1 to 1 and a half inch layer of sand be laid on top of your bedding material. This layer of sand cannot be too thick, for if it is, it will mean softer sand bedding. Softer sand bedding can result in sinking and hence may affect the level of the pavers which will be important later on when foot traffic is on them. If the bedding is not sturdy, the pavers can move and create sinks in the surface.

For any further or more technical questions on installation, I have linked to you the official installation video from Pavestone, it can be found here

Be aware that you may not need to use all the tools that they show in the video, but use it as a general guide.

It's important to have just enough sand bedding to maintain flat pavers. Depending on what kind of sand you choose, a typical .5 cu ft bag shown below will cover about 10 sq. ft of an area, therefore you'll need more than a few bags to get the job done.....

paversand.JPG

Also, placing edging around the borders of the pavers will create less movement alongside the pavers, so plan accordingly to where and how you would like those placed. We sell metal edging that can be very inconspicuous for the gazebo area to keep the pavers from shifting. You will need sand in the joints as well, you can use the same paver sand to simply sweep on after the pavers are in place to keep any further shifting.

Since there are various ways and approaches to pavers, I have included the brand I trust in paver know-how, Pavestone, a project estimator to the most out of whatever style of paver you choose. I have included the link to estimate how many pavers you'll need here.

When choosing your pavers, simply aware of the style, planning  and design you want within your budget to get the best look out of your new walkway.

Have a great day and enjoy your great outdoors!

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2011-03-19T20:01:37+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+