Sign In to join the community | Help
Outdoors

Paver patio. One part of the patio would butt up against the vinyl siding...help!

We are planning to install a paver patio.  But one part of the patio would butt up against the vinyl siding on our house.  What do we do here?  I think we should remove the siding and put in some kind of barrier before assembling the patio, since we wouldn’t want the pavers (and crushed stone and sand base) right up against the siding.  There is wood/fiber board behind the siding.  Should we install some sort of metal barrier? or concrete barrier? or something? to prevent against moisture, bugs, etc. migrating into the house.  And there would be the pressure of the crushed stone and pavers pressing against the wood.  Any solutions?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-03T18:34:36+0000  by Sue_creates Sue_creates

Hey Sue_creates.

I recommend doing whatever you have to do to keep the pavers, sand and paver base away from the siding. This will allow moisture into the wood which can cause a nightmare down the road.

In many states, there are codes that will not allow any type of siding from being too close to the ground. Here in Georgia, I believe it is 4 to 6 inches. With wood so close to the ground, it becomes more prone to termites and water damage. Behind your vinyl siding is wood, therefore it would be a bad idea to do this.

Without looking at it, it is hard to say what is the proper solution. It sounds like the grade is too high in this area. More details would be needed and pictures would certainly be helpful.

Hit me back here.

Posted 2013-05-05T14:16:06+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+