Sign In to join the community | Help
Outdoors

Paver patio needs replaced

My paver patio is falling apart due to a lac of edging to hold it together. What is the easiest thing to use to fix and secure the patio? The sand is also depleting causing uneven spots, is this normal?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-02-25T14:42:10+0000  by daniellepg daniellepg

Hey daniellepg, welcome to the Home Depot Community!

Since you also posted this similar question in the Hardware Forum, I thought I’d add that info here:

“I have a paver patio in my backyard that was incorrectly put together. The outside perimeter of the patio was poured a concrete barrier with nothing to form the border. So basically the concrete was just poured and is now falling apart. What can I use to properly border the patio so it all stays together without completely re-doing it? I saw paver edging spikes but I thought there was something that binded the patio together...hardware? Can anyone help?”

So it sounds to me that you want to repair the most uneven parts of your patio and install edging to keep the pavers from moving.

Let’s start with the border.  Snap Edge borders are quite strong and secure, using spikes to hold them in place.  I would put these down first to secure your patio blocks from moving.  They look like this:

SnapEdge.jpg

Here's a link: LINK.

Another alternative would be Diamond-Lok edging, which also use spikes to hold them in place tightly against the blocks:

DiamondLok.jpg

Once you have the border secured, then you can look at the areas that need to be leveled out.  Pull up the pavers that need attention, and add/remove material to get a level base.  I would use patio paver base, a crushed limestone product, to add for leveling.  It looks like this:

PaverBase.jpg

Replace the blocks and then sweep this poly-sand into the cracks to secure everything together:

PaverSand.jpg

This special sand hardens with moisture, so it will not wash out of the cracks like regular sand can.

I hope this gives you some ideas on what will be involved in repairing your patio.  All these products can be found at your local Home Depot in the Garden department.  Additional spikes if needed are a Hardware item, but are also usually merchandised in Garden as well.

Please post some pictures and don’t hesitate to let us know if we can be of further help.

Thanks,

Newf

Posted 2011-02-25T16:16:08+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+