Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Peeling paint

I painted latex over latex and now both layers are peeling off. What is the best way to handle this? Sand it all off? Can I use No Sand liquid?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-05-13T20:19:44+0000  by Firegirl2169 Firegirl2169

Hey Firegirl2169,

Thanks for joining us here on the community.

It's possible to use liquid sander, but lets first get to the bottom of why exactly the latex paint is peeling. 

Whether you painted on a glossy surface or over alkyd (oil) surface, the main culprit. To ensure the next coat of whatever paint you use won't do this again, you'll have to make sure the existing foundation is suitable for the final topcoat.

With that being said, you'll have to remove all of the loose, peeling paint first. You can use liquid sander as stated earlier, but a scraper and a sanding (either by hand or an orbital power sander) can get rid of the remaining amount.

Failure to remove this loose layer will not give a good bond to subsequent coats. Once this bad layer of latex is removed, my recommendation would be to use a good bonding primer to whatever surface this is going on.

Using an oil-based or shellac-based primer works well for situations such as yours. Apply it first, and then use your new latex layer of paint.

Without a primer, history will be doomed to repeat itself. For any further questions, please let us know here.

Joseph

Posted 2017-05-13T23:16:50+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+