Sign In to join the community | Help
Outdoors

Permit needed for Paver patio?

Hi guys,

I had Home Depot install this awesome paver patio last year.   It's a basic paver patio with a sand/gravel base with a 1 and 2 brick high retainer wall around the edge.  (Oh.  By the way, I live in a community that has an association.  I submitted my plans and my association gave it's approval before we got started.)   The contractor never mentioned a permit, and I never bothered to ask.  Fast forward 1 year.  I just received an email from my association (a general email to the community, and not directed to me) that states that the city has recently contacted the association and noted  166 homeowners who extended their patios without applying for their permits.  Do I have anything to worry about here?   From what I've read, I wouldn't need a permit if it's just a paver patio, and not a concrete slab.   Is this correct?    Any insight would be greatly appreciated!  

Patio.jpg

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-09-12T02:45:06+0000  by UFlaDave UFlaDave

Hello UFlaDave and congratulations on the beautiful paver patio!

I can understand your concern about the letter from your association.  In my area, small patios do not require a permit, but a concrete pad just one-half the size would require permitting.   I have some insights for you to review.

When Home Depot Home Services installs a project, our service provider will work with the homeowner regarding the necessary permits and HOA (Home Owner Association) approval.  You obtained approval from your association, so that part is covered.  The service provider would have discussed any local building and/or code requirements that you would have needed for this paver project.  You may want to contact them to verify that everything was in proper order at the time of installation. 

For your peace of mind, you can find the detailed information – the applicable codes – pertaining to your patio.  Check out local codes online by searching on your local city and/or county website under “building permit office.”  You can also review other resources by searching on your state / city/ county. 

Best wishes and happy grilling.

PS – do have any “gators” in the yard?

DW tile.png

Posted 2012-09-12T15:58:06+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

Hi DW, 

Thanks for your reply.  Yeah, I assumed that if I needed permits for this, it would have been discussed up front.   When HD installed my kitchen, they ensured all the proper permits were pulled.     If I did need a permit, I hope I can just do it retroactively and be done with it.   I hope I won't be fined.     I'll see if I can dig up my service provider's phone number and verify.    And, yes, there are gators.   My backyard is my small slice of gator country... ;-)

Posted 2012-09-13T01:20:14+0000  by UFlaDave
I needed a permit to pour a concrete slab for my patio and my metal garage kit. Do you know how many permits are needed for a building kit? Here is what I am putting up in my back yard. Metal Building
Posted 2016-12-27T17:57:46+0000  by aarontroy
Yes you do not need a permit for pavers. Only a permanent situation would require a permit. metal buildings
Posted 2017-10-17T17:42:31+0000  by aarontroy

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+