Sign In to join the community | Help
Decor

Pipe and Drape System Using PVC Pipes

Hi! I'm decorating a VERY ugly hall for my church banquet. I have to turn this space into a beautiful wonderland. I wanted to know how I could use PVC pipes to build a pipe and drape system.

Thanks

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-09-13T19:48:31+0000  by Felencia Felencia

Howdy Felencia,

Since you are using a hall I'm going to presume you can not fasten anything to the walls. With that in mind the pvc drape system would have to be free standing.

Here is a simple drawing to show you how to make a simple pvc drape system. I did not list exact dimensions however I would not attempt to make a pipe longer than 7 feet.

happy decorating,
Coach Dave
Posted 2017-09-14T15:43:36+0000  by Dave_HD_OC
Hey Felencia.

PVC is easy to work with for many projects as there are fittings for just about any application you could work with. One problem PVC has is that it can bend or sag if there is too much weight on it. Typically for drapes a 1/2 or 3/4 inch pipe would be the proper size to fit through many drapes. These sizes tend to sag with little weight on them. It isn't until you get to the 1 1/2 inch pipe that it becomes less likely to bend.

Metal conduit does not sag but it also does not have enough fittings to be practical for projects like this. If you use a 3/4 inch PVC then I would recommend sliding a piece of 1/2 inch metal conduit inside the 3/4 PVC to make it more rigid to prevent bending where your drapes are hanging from.

Were you wanting to build a freestanding curtain that stands up and could be moved?

Were you mounting these to the wall over top of windows?

If you have pictures of ideas, please share them.

Posted 2017-09-14T15:47:14+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+