Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Planterns/pots

I have large (deep) planterns i would like to place assorted colored flowers in them, what can i fill with so it won't be so heavy or do i need to fill then entire thing with soil in order to see the flowers?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-02-01T17:45:18+0000  by djsoke djsoke

Related image

Greetings djsoke,

Although it is now discussed that filling pots totally from top to bottom with potting mix is best practice for a plants root development and a plants overall health…also a premium potting mix is generally very light in weight…..but I understand your question!

Sometime large pots are just so heavy when they are empty and also extremely deep and vast that minimizing the potting mix is understandable. Customers ask me this question often in at the Home Depot where I work.

I suggest filling the bottom of the large planters with inverted plastic growing pots or the cell packs that the plants came in. Empty soda bottles also take up a great bit of space, make sure the caps are left on so they don’t rob or fill with water and become stinky.

Image result for images of packing peanuts in planters  Image result for images of packing peanuts in planters

Another option is to fill the bottom portion of planter with “packing peanuts”, top them off with a few sheets of perforated newspaper. The newspaper will act as a divide, holding the peanuts down, keeping them from floating their way to the top of the potting mix, (which can happen if a heavy rain or extreme watering should happen) the paper should have slices or small holes to allow the water to pass quickly. The paper will eventually decompose, but by then you will need to refresh the soil…. then just repeat the process!

Image result for images of packing peanuts in planters

All of these recommendations will lighten the overall weight of your filled planter, but do not skimp on a good potting mix, and allow at least 10-15 inches of good growth depth for your plants…even more if you intend to plant any kind of evergreens or shrubs in your planters.

I hope that one of these choices will work! I would enjoy seeing your potting project, ( upload some images)…..and let us know how things are growing!

Maureen

Posted 2017-02-02T14:02:29+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS
Hey djsoke.

For so long people have always been told to use packing peanuts or mulch. In my 20 years with the Depot, I am surprised it took this long to come up with a solution but it has finally been invented. It is called the Ups-A-Daisy. It is an insert that fits midway down your pot, essentially creating a false bottom for your pot. I just got them in in my store here in Atlanta. You can also find them on homedepot.com.

Bloem 14 in. Ups-A-Daisy Planter Insert
Measure the width of the pot where you want the new bottom of the pot to be. I believe that I have the 8, 10, 12, and 14 inch ones in the store. I have bigger ones on our website. Just click on the orange link above.

Posted 2017-02-02T19:09:46+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+