Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Planting and Transplanting Plants

As a landscaper, designer and lover of plants, my landscape is a constantly evolving work of art. As a person with the know how to transplant and divide plants, I do not miss the opportunity to keep the neighbors guessing as to what is coming next.

Whether I am dividing my 300+ hosta plants and creating another beautiful mass planting in the shade or splitting up the 40 huge cast iron plants and creating an exotic border. Transplanting is a great way keep the landscape evolving while not breaking the bank.

Best season for planting and transplanting

As a rule of thumb, the rules say that fall and early spring are the best time for planting and transplanting. Planting can go longer into the spring, as there is less shock to the plant because there were no roots removed like with transplanting. The goal is to give the plant 1 month to establish its root system before the soil freezes or the blazing summer heat arrives.

Best time of day to plant or transplant

Later in the evening is a great time to take on this endeavor. Transplanted plants lose a lot of moisture when many of the roots have been removed. Transplanting on an overcast day is also a great time, as this helps the transition by lessening moisture loss. Planting new plants can be done on a sunny day.

Lessening the shock

The roots are the vessel that feeds the foliage. When transplanting plants, you will be removing some roots, therefore removing some leaves is necessary to help lessen the burden on the plant. This is the case whether you are dividing daylilies or transplanting azaleas. Transplanting blooming plants is best done while plants are not blooming. Blooming puts extra stress on a plant, requiring more nutrients and energy. If you must transplant it, remove the flowers, otherwise transplanting it 3 weeks after it blooms is ideal.

Amending the soil and mulching

A nutrient rich, loose soil is ideal for the transition of your new and transplanted plants. 25% soil conditioner or peat moss and 25% composted manure with 50% native soil is ideal when amending the soil. This will allow the new roots to spread quickly but remain strong enough to cut through native soil. Check out this article on amending soil. Once your plants are in the ground put down 2 inches of mulch to keep the soil temperatures warm and retain moisture to the plant. Water thoroughly immediately after planting.

Fertilizing

Flushing out growth is the last thing you want to do when planting and transplanting, as this increases the burden on the plant to find nutrients. Avoid fertilizers with high nitrogen. Root stimulators like Miracle Gro Quick Start are ideal, as they provide high levels of Phosphorus to help with root development.

Other related articles:

Which soil should I use?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-05-05T14:23:08+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL Ingar_HD_ATL

Hey,

Thank you for sharing this info. I am planning for home renovation, By adding this , I can make it more worth for renovation.
Posted 2016-05-11T04:53:59+0000  by emilyjohnson

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+