Sign In to join the community | Help

Plaster over Wallpaper peeling from walls

We just bought a house (built in the 1940s) and discovered that, on some of the walls, there is a layer of plaster over top of about 6 layers of wallpaper.  There are large areas that are not smooth, and in the main bedroom there is a big section that is peeling away from the wall. The part that is peeling is aproximately 10 inches long by 10 inches wide. How do we go about fixing this? It's our plan to paint all the walls, but we want to make sure we fix these flaws before we move forward.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-07-23T15:02:03+0000  by jennyo jennyo
Hello jennyo.  Welcome to the Community!

I'm afraid that the only good way to fix your walls would be to strip off both the mud/plaster and then the 6 layers of wallpaper.  A mess it will be, but those layers of wallpaper will just continue to fail.  It would be good news if you found a true plaster wall behind the wallpaper, as removing wallpaper will be much easier that if it is drywall.  I would say that the odds are you have plaster walls, but that's a guess as the late 40's was a transition time to drywall after WWII.  With any luck you can start at the area that has already pulled away and just scrape out from there with a stiff putty knife.  The mud should just crumble away.  Once the paper is gone you will have a solid base from which to repair, prime and paint the original real wall.


Posted 2015-07-23T16:25:05+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI
Hi Jennyo

There are two ways to go Jenny, one would be to remove the old wall paper down to the bare walls and then
patch prime and paint. A lot of work!

A second solution is to cover the walls with 1/2 drywall tape and paint. This way you will have a clean new surface with a lot less work.

Posted 2015-07-23T16:25:53+0000  by Mike_HD_OC
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question