Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Plastic paint picker upper: my plastic lawn furniture WILL match this year

Spring has come to Atlanta!  At least for this weekend, we will have beautiful warm weather in the 70’s with low humidity.  I am beginning to think of all those spring projects that I need to start.  One is looking at the plastic patio furniture and planters that have accumulated over the years and decide what do with it all. 

I originally bought them when plastic was what my budget would allow.  Each year I added several more pieces; a table and 4 “matching” chairs in hunter green, and of course, all those pots and planters that are more colors than I can count.  But I still use them – even if they do not match each other or the new patio set. 

This year I have decided that they will match. 

SP_PFP_12ozEspresso_L.jpg

Rust-Oleum Specialty Paint for Plastic Spray renews and restores in one step. It can be applied directly to plastic mailboxes, lawn chairs, storage lockers, planters, and more.  The paint will provide superior adhesion and long-lasting durability in one step!  The paint is suitable for indoor or outdoor applications and is available in many popular colors (I like Espresso!).

No primer is required – simply apply directly to the prepared surface (cleaned with soap and water, then rinsed and let dry).  As a best practice, test paint in a hidden area first.  Apply 2 or more light coats a few minutes apart.  Paint is dry to the touch in 20-30 minutes - can be handled in 1 hour – and is fully dry in 24 hours.  A second coat can be applied within 1 hour or after 48 hours.  Maximum paint adhesion and durability is achieved in 5-7 days (aka next weekend).   

Coverage: 1 can covers 7-10 square feet, which is approximately one chair (shown on the front of the can) or two 10” pots.

plastic primer.jpg     primer spray.jpg   

Rust-Oleum Specialty Plastic Primer prepares plastic for painting with any top coat from any other Rust-Oleum paint line, such as Painters Touch.  It can be applied directly to plastic mailboxes, lawn chairs, storage lockers, planters, and more. It will adhere to hard-to-paint surfaces.   Then apply the top coat following manufacturer’s directions.

Coverage: The spray can covers 7-10 square feet, which is approximately one chair (shown on the front of the can) or two 10” pots.  The one quart can covers 80-100 square feet. 

As always, be sure to work in a well ventilated area, use eye protection, and wear gloves and old clothes.  Dispose of empty cans in accordance with local ordinances.

I’d love to know if you have used the specialty paint products and how your projects turned out. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-02-18T20:15:48+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL Eileen_HD_ATL

I have the old wooden rocker on the front porch. Can I use the same can to paint these rockers and my plastic planters next to them so they match.:smileyhappy:

Posted 2011-02-19T00:15:22+0000  by Glide2Fly

Hello Glide2Fly,

This is Christine and I work in the paint department at The Home Depot. You have a really great question here, one that I get asked quite a bit. :smileywink:

You can absolutely paint your wooden rocker with the plastic spray paint. Like designingwoman mentioned, the plastic paint is self-priming, so there is no need for a primer.

Enjoy your newly coordinated patio set!

Christine

Posted 2011-02-19T16:37:18+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+