Sign In to join the community | Help
Plumbing

Plumbing a double sink Vanity

I have just removed my single sink vanity from my bathroom.  I replaced it with a double sink vanity.  I have water connections and drain for one sink rather than two seperate drains and waters connections for each sink.  Are there shut off valves that allow for two water supply connections.  Can I plumb the drains like the kitchen sink is plumbed.  The main thing I want to avoid is having to run another drain and water supply.

Please Help! we are tired of brushing our teeth at the kitchen sink!! :)

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-05-19T19:34:51+0000  by jeffbirdwell jeffbirdwell

I currently have a single sink vanity and want to change to a double sink vanity. I saw a double sink vanity at home-depot I want to buy, will they remove the old one and install the new one? If so what is the estimated cost
Posted 2014-01-06T14:53:03+0000  by Diamond1208

Hello,

I am planning out how to install a double vanity top to an existing single sink top plumbing configuration.  The drain and water supply are directly in the middle.  From the previous threads it sounds like I can just replace the single outlet valves for both the hot and cold water to double outlet valves.  For the drain do I need a P-Trap for each bowl, which then connects in the middle to a T-pipe to the main drain?  Also, what are your suggestions for this P-Trap sold at Home Depot that is cleanable?  Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Perma-1-5-in-P-Trap-in-Plastic-PT5021/202039600#.UeiHX9LOm8APerma 1.5 in. P-Trap in Plastic

Posted 2013-07-19T00:27:18+0000  by dyiitry

Hello mac517.  Welcome to the Community!

Normally the venting for sinks is a vertical pipe inside the wall which leads from the drain up to the roof.  It is not necessary for each basin to have its own vent, as you will tie both basins to that same wall drain.  Only if you are starting with a stud wall and using separate wall drains will you need both to be vented.  Even then you would simply tie the vents together at some level higher than the sink tops.

How you do that depends on what is the easiest way given vanity layout, drawers and spacing between the basins.  You can either tie the basins together before a single P trap like is often done with double kitchen sinks, or have each basin get its own trap and run their horizontals into a Tee or Wye fitting at the common wall drain.  In addition, some installations would use a double Wye where the extra hub has a cleanout plug.

Is this what you are looking for?

Newf.

Posted 2013-02-26T18:38:48+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Newf-

I read a 2010 reply you posted for a user interested in installing a double sink for a bathroom vanity where currently only one existed.  I am doing the same thing and found your post helpful. Two follow up questions:  1)  does the second plumbing connection which will be connected to the first need to be vented or is the vent from the existing connection sufficient?  2)  If I understand your previous answer, the new sink flange will also have a P trap that empties into  the horizontal PVC pipe connecting to the Tee elbow.  Is this correct?

mac517

Posted 2013-02-22T22:07:09+0000  by mac517

Hello davidwh.  Welcome to the Community!

I agree that there are times when drawers get in the way.  In addition, the place allocated in the cabinet design for the wall drain may not be where the wall drain actually is.  Vanities do vary in design.

It will always be easier to modify the vanity cabinet to accommodate plumbing than to tear up the wall and move the outlet or add another one.  I like your process for shortening drawers.  It seems quick and easy.

Thanks for the tip,

Newf.

Posted 2013-02-12T16:47:27+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

The problem with using one drain line for the double sink replacement is always blockage of drain lines from vanity drawers, and each vanity is different. 

I have been successful with several ubgrades by simply removing the drawers, plumbing the drains then shortening the drawers needed to let the drains pass behind.

Often only one drawer needs to be shortened. The process is to cut the back off straight with a table saw and then just replace the back of the drawer.

Sorry I am so lazy, but no issues so far.

Posted 2013-02-12T15:50:06+0000  by davidwh

Hello jeffbirdwell.  Welcome to the Home Depot Community!

It’s quite common for there to be only 1 line each in a bathroom for the drain, cold and hot water.  Yes, the drain can be plumbed like a double kitchen sink by converting the 1.25” sink flanges to a 1.5” and using a Tee below one of the bowls to join them.  There are also 1.25" flanged 90 elbows (shown below) that provide another way to accomplish this.  The “P-Trap” will be placed below the pipes that join the bowls.  How you actually design this will depend on where the wall drain is relative to the bowls.  Any Home Depot plumbing associate can help you with this given a simple drawing of the bowl spread, and location of the wall drain.

FlangeTube90.jpgTee.jpg

For the water supply, you can either use a Tee with 2 valves for each supply, or a simple double outlet valve like this:

DoubleValve.jpg

I hope this helps.

Newf

Posted 2011-05-20T14:03:23+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+