Sign In to join the community | Help
Lumber & Composites

Pocket Hole Wood Joining Question

Hi everyone,

I just started a new project in which I am trying to make a small side table made with Douglas Fir and steel pipes. I intend to install 1/2" flanges into 2" thick douglas fir boards. I glued 3 sets of 3 douglas fir boards together but then I got to thinking that the bond might be strong enough to hold a lot of weight.

Is it too late to drill in pocket holes into already glued wood? Is there any alternatives to reinforce the glued edges into this hardwood? Or should I just start over?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-05-30T14:19:25+0000  by jlb248 jlb248

Hello jib248,

It’s not too late it’s just a bit more challenging to drill the pocket holes once the boards are glued together. However, it is still possible.  

I would suggest using the R3 Kreg jig pocket hole system to make the pocket holes. It can be held in place with a screw instead of being clamped. (See the pictures on homedepot.com) Therefore, this method would be perfect for your situation since the boards are glued together already.

I agree that the glued joint can be a weak point without any reinforcements, but you also have to keep in mind that there most likely will not be a lot of weight on it. However, I agree it is better to do it right the first time so that you do not have to fix it later.  

I would love to see your project. So if you get a chance please upload a few pictures.

If you have any other questions please let me know. I would love to help.

Posted 2018-05-30T16:44:56+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+