Sign In to join the community | Help
Outdoors

Porch Swing

I have two hooks screwed into the top of my porch. I want to know if there is a way to measure how much weight these hooks can support (i.e. a porch swing). I cannot tell what the hooks are screwed into as there is a laminate roofing on the porch roof. 
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-05-25T20:38:23+0000  by CSB0524 CSB0524

WOW CSB0524,

The risk of measuring the load capacity of your hooks is that you may discover, the hard way, that the ceiling will not support the load.

Start with a stud finder and try to identify if ceiling joists are located above these anchor points.

If ceiling joists are not at the anchor points, you will not be able to support the load with the existing hooks.

In the interest of safety, you may simply build an A-frame swing support that rests on the porch floor.

HOW TO:
The load a porch swing carries could be 600 pounds or more.

If you're intent upon suspending the swing from the porch ceiling, you'll need to go into the space above the ceiling to add reinforced timbers that will share the load across several spans of the building frame.

Also check your local building codes for guidelines that may be instructional.

Once assembled, test your swing before allowing family and friends aboard.

If I expected a 600 pound average load, I'd probably build to ensure 1,000 pounds of support.

Hope this helps,

Pat InPaint

BTW
As with all DIY forums, other Community Members will certain want to add ideas based upon their experience.

Posted 2016-05-25T21:12:23+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+