Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Precious Metals Paint

While I certainly like the idea of this paint from all the posts I've seen it doesn't seem to work effectively.  I realize that maybe if someone is satisfied with the result they're not posting on message boards for the most part.

Hear are my questions.  I live in S.W. Florida where all the walls are textured not smooth like up north.  Does this affect what the product looks like?  If your looking for a smooth finish what is the correct roller to use?   I noticed the sample swatch in the store is textured or rough, not smooth.  Is that a result of the roller used?  While I am willing to make the investment in a small piece of drywall to do a test on it, certainly will  need primer first which I would then have to buy.  Then it's still not textured like my wall is. 

I'm interested in the tin color as an accent wall.  The current color is a light beige.  The person in the paint department   suggested that I put down a "base coat" of a similar color first as the "precious metals" paint is thin and the color behind it will bleed through.  Is this correct?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-07-30T19:37:46+0000  by Bonitabob Bonitabob

It's a great day in the Paint Department BonitaBob!

The previous threads about Precious Metals were written as the product was being introduced.

Although the sample cards show texture today, the original sample cards were perfectly smooth. And, based upon what they saw, customers were attempting to produce that perfectly smooth finish.

So, originally I recommended using the Ultra Smooth Foam Roller to create the smoothest possible finish.

Later, when ML introduced their roller cover for metallic paints, the sample cards were changed to reflect the textured finish created by this roller cover.

In between, I produced several videos showing the results from different available roller covers and also included a video on using ML Precious Metals as a faux finish.

Having gone through these iterations of application (say that five times really fast!), I can truly say that this versatile product can be used to meet almost any expectation.

However, I would draw the line at creating a smooth finish over a textured surface ... your example.

No matter how hard you try, your textured walls will never allow you to create a perfectly smooth surface coat.

You could, however, skim coat the wall in question (using joint compound) and create a smooth enough wall to apply a smooth coat of ML Precious Metals.

As for applying a primer coat, that is never a bad idea with any paint. Primer acts like double-stick tape to cling to the surface and provide a base to which your paint will adhere.

Ask your Paint Associate to prepare a primer just slightly lighter than the ML color of your choice.

Primer is less expensive than paint and dries in about an hour.

On most smooth walls, you would use a 3/8ths nap roller cover. Because your walls are textured, a 1/2 inch nap roller cover will reach into those small valleys without creating additional texture on the surface of the wall.

Once your primer is dry, begin with ML Precious Metals ... using a new 1/2 inch nap roller cover.

Do not expect one-coat coverage ... two coats will be required with this product.

NOTE: Although you ask about creating a smooth look to you walls, you might consider the polar opposite as well ... using the existing texture to create a faux appearance. You would do this by applying a lighter color of ML Precious Metals over the entire wall using a 1/2 in naps, allow it to dry for 24-hours, and then use the Ultra Smooth foam roller to apply a thin coat only to the surface (without pressing down hard you will only paint the surface). This would leave the valleys coated only with the first color and the surface uniformly coated with the second color. A technique that is a bit tricky to pull off, but a very unique one-of-a-kind wall that will WOW your friends and family!

FINALLY: One other option would be spraying ML Precious Metals ... which ChattanoogaMom says created a very smooth appearance.

Posted 2012-07-31T14:33:47+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Thanks for the reply.  To clarify, when I refered to "smooth" finish I meant not like the current sample card.  I'm not about to sand my walls to knock the skim coat off.  I would like a smooth finish on the wall not the "peeling look", for lack of a better way to describe it,  that's on the current sample card.  So the best roller to use for that is what?

Posted 2012-07-31T16:03:12+0000  by Bonitabob

I understand BonitaBob, sanding a wall until smooth is not much fun!

DnsFoam.jpg  The smoothest tool we sell is the dense white foam roller.

It is only available in a four inch and a six inch, but if you keep it saturated it will paint a smooth coat.

NOTE: You're unlikely to get paint into the valleys on your textured walls using this tool.

The logical choice to reach into those valleys would be the 1/2 inch nap mentioned earlier.

Or, use the 1/2 nap for the first coat and then the 3/8ths nap for the final coat ... this may be the best of both worlds.

PRODUCT SPECIFICATION: Unlike any other product we sell, ML Precious Metals requires 24-hours between coats.

Posted 2012-07-31T16:58:47+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+