Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Precious Metals-paint

I'm getting ready to paint a spare bathroom with this paint.  I have read in the forums people are having problems with application.  So before I invest in this 46/gallon paint, I want to know what is the correct way to apply it? This is going on just the top part with a chair rail and darker color under to give some so glisten to the bathroom, which has no window.  The paint sample I got at my local HD, is the effect I wish to achieve.  It looks like there is a sponge techinque that goes over maybe a painted wall that is done with a simple painting. I use not to do any mistakes, and have to change my color palette do to the paint not giving me the results it says it will...Please advise, thank you

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-07-23T22:46:19+0000  by mariaw mariaw

Marlaw,

The most important thing to keep in mind with the Precious Metals paint is that it is brush/roller direction sensitive. That is, every direction the brush is brushed or the roller is rolled appears differently. To this end, the final finess strokes must be in the same uniform direction. After laying out a nice even later of paint, the roller is rolled downward in a nice uniform direction, NOT back and forth.

It is important to keep a wet edge on the paint. There are tiny metalic pigments floating around in the paint. They should be able to settle uniformly if the paint is sufficiently rolled out evenly in a generous coating. Rolling too thinly and dry will definitely cause visible differences in the metalic paint. This paint is also best used over a well sealed wall. A "dry" wall will cause it to set too quickly and again influence how the metalic particles settle out.

There is also a dedicated Martha Stewart roller cover for this product which will help in laying it out evenly.

Posted 2012-07-24T04:08:00+0000  by ordjen

Hello Mariaw!

Welcome and thanks for taking time to review content on The Community about Precious Metals.

When the product was first introduced, the sample cards were sprayed and almost no one could obtain that perfect appearance using a roller. In other threads about this product, we tried several different rollers and obtained results ranging from smooth to textured.

More recently, ML introduced their roller cover for metallic paint. This is the tool Ordjen describes ... you'll find it in the ML Specialty Paint display.

They also changed the sample cards to reflect the textured finish obtained when using this roller cover. This is the sample card you described.

Before applying paint to the wall, saturate your roller cover with paint and set it aside for about five minutes before beginning. This ensures that the unique fibers completely fill with paint ... ultimately these saturated fibers are the key to creating the pattern you seek.

You should keep them saturated throughout the process by going back to the tray regularly to reload the roller cover.

Ordjen describes this process very well ... reload the roller regularly, fill a four-foot section of wall in front of you with paint from ceiling to floor and before moving over, use smoothing strokes (his term finesse strokes) ... pulling the roller from ceiling to floor in one continuous motion ... overlap the next ceiling to floor stoke about 1/4th inch and repeat until you've completed the applied paint. Move over four-feet and repeat.

Using the ML Metallic Paint roller cover combined with this technique will give you the greatest chance of producing the desired pattern on your wall.

I always recommend a test board first.

It simply helps ensure your technique is consistent when you get to the full project.

Posted 2012-07-24T14:30:59+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+