Sign In to join the community | Help
Building Materials

Pressure treated lumber is the wrong length.

The pressure treated lumber I purchased to make flooring for a shed is 1.5 inches longer than advertised. It is not flush with the ply wood flooring. Do I have to shave 1.5 inches off of all the lumber I purchased or is there a simpler solution?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-08-22T23:13:20+0000  by Jeff23 Jeff23

Construction grade lumber is rarely exactly a certain length but 1 1/2" long sounds like a bit much.  When framing something like a shed floor, the basic construction should look like this:

Once the dimensions are established, the wood is cut to the proper length.  Let's say that you wanted the shed to be 8' deep.  The rim joist is 1 1/2" thick (times 2, one on each end) so you'd cut the floor joists to 7'9" (8' - 1 1/2" - 1 1/2").  One the framing is complete, it's topped with plywood.  Consideration should given to the size of the plywood, usually 4x8'.  You wouldn't want, for example, the shed to be 8' 2" deep because you'll end up with a 2" strip of plywood somewhere.

With that said, yes you'll need to cut your lumber by 1 1/2".  If you don't have a miter saw, you can use a speed square as the guide for your circular saw so you get straight cuts.  If you're worried about the square moving or you hand being that close to the saw, you can always clamp the speed square in place.   Just make sure the clamp doesn't interfere with the saw or catch on the cord.

Always remember to, "measure twice and cut once."  ;-)
Posted 2015-08-23T09:33:06+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+