Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Price-pfister shower hot side two valve O-Ring replacement?

Price-pfister shower hot side two valve O-Ring replacement?

Hello- What is the correct lingo for what I need to fix a leaky tub faucet?

I called ACE hardware, and they tell me I need a rebuild kit???? This is NOT a SINGLE hot/cold valve. What this is...are two separate handles, a hot and cold. When I try to find DIY videos or written instructions, all I get are single-handed shower valves that handles both hot and cold in one valve. I think I have a two or three valve shower assembly...I only have hot and a cold, where is the third valve located? (I have been told I have three)

I know that the plastic handles in time, get stripped, and I will have to replace those, but when I removed the handle, and torqued down tightly the threaded end of the stem using pliers, I still get dripping out of the drain spout. I took the COLD side plastic handle, which was not internally stripped, and placed that on the hot side, closed it off the best I could, and yes, it still leaks, so I'm guessing it's the O-ring. (Fingers crossed)

The three pics shown is what I've done so far...removed plastic handle, unscrewed the trim, unscrewed the nut that holds that outer threaded plastic tube that hold the trim on, and now I see a brass tube with a bigger nut behind it. I've tried to counter clock wise unscrew this big nut, but I am afraid something either will break or become loose.  Any ideas?  The dripping is driving me crazy!

Thank you!

This attached photo, what do I need to fix this leaky valve?  Thank you!

price pfister Shower valvessmsm.jpg

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-06-12T01:11:09+0000  by bozodewd bozodewd

Good morning, and welcome to the community.

It looks like you have done all the hard work all ready.  Just a little further and you can call this one completed.

First and foremost:  The most important step is to turn off the water supply. Most of the time this will require turning off the main water input located on the main water line. Look for a pipe with a cut off valve located immediately after it enters the home. This is usually is located in the basement, crawl space, etc… To be certain that you turned off the water; check the nearest indoor faucet to see if there is water flowing (with pressure).

After you have remove the shower faucet handle. There are so many different types, but the most common is the kind that you pop off the front plate and remove the screw inside. 

Repair-A-Dripping-Shower-cover.jpg                                                                                       

Now you will have to remove the valve stem. It's crucial that you get a valve stem socket wrench for this stage. I have personally tried other means and tools to remove this part but only become very frustrated until I discovered this valuable secret. Here is a link to the Home Depot site so you can get familiar with it. 

repair-leaking-tub-faucet-04-ss.jpg http://bit.ly/ehOQ0z

You simply find the wrench that fits the inside of the stem and use the cross bar to remove the part. You will want to bring the whole stem into our plumbing expert at your Home Depot and they will advise you on whether to get a new stem or just replace the little rubber “O” rings.

It’s all easy from here. Just reverse the process by installing the stem (or stems), re-attaching the handle and turning the water source back on. Tip: all your faucets are going to have air in them from turning off the water, so gently crack them open before using them until the air is purged through.

Charge yourself accordingly and leave a generous tip – you’re a Plumber now.:smileyhappy:

Posted 2011-06-12T12:24:32+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Hi and no leak yet!   it was a bad flat washer in the shower stem, not the O-Ring.

I bought that wrench tool from home depot...$6.00. I opened the stem all the way,turned off the water to the house. removed the stem from the inside wall pipe. When I carefully removed this stem, i did not notice the 0-ring on the stem, but inside along the edge rim, so I preceded to unscrew the small Phillips screw holding down the flat washer, replaced it, and re-inserted the stem back into the walled pipe. I did not use plumbers grease or Teflon tape,but hope this will work.  I shut off/closed this stem, went outside and slowly turned the water back on...THEN......and....and.....and.....one drip, one s-l-o-w drip...not the constant drip,drip,drip that was filling up a gallon of water in about an hours time before the repair.
 Because of this one slow drippity drip, I went ahead and replaced the other (cold  stem as well) now, no leak!  Thanks to all who chimed in and helped me..much appreciated.

Next time it will be the replacing of both stems. 

Posted 2011-06-14T07:48:58+0000  by bozodewd

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+