Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Putting more insulation in my attic.

I am wanting to put more insulation in my attic.  My entire attic is decked.  The existing insulation is under the decking.  My question is, Can I blow in insulation over the decking or should I remove the decking then blow in insulation?

Thanks.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-07-04T01:09:09+0000  by clay_crabtree clay_crabtree

Hello clay_crabtree.  Welcome to the Home Depot Community!

My short answer is that the decking itself should be fine where it is.  There is no need to pull it up.

There are a  couple of things that need mentioning though.  First is the need to maintain soffit ventilation into the attic space.  You can buy pre-made channels that look like this:

AtticChannels.JPG

Another option would be to run plastic sheeting across  the rafters from the decking up a few feet, creating channels between the rafters and roof sheathing for ventilation.

The second issue concerns electrical wiring.  You will need to maintain access to any junction boxes that may exist in your attic.  It is not unusual for conduit and boxes to be run across the attic floor powering ceiling and wall outlets in the lower living space.  You will want to make an access box and clearly flag/mark the location of any boxes that the blown-in insulation might cover.  As you can see below, anything that's on the deck will be pretty well buried by the time you are done!

Insulation.gif

Let me give you a few other threads on this forum you may find useful:

Attic 3/19/11

Attic Insulation 11/28/10

Sitting Pretty...11/5/10

I hope this helps,

Newf.

Posted 2011-07-05T14:42:21+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+