Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Question about sanding and staining

I have a small island in my kitchen. It is a cream color. However I want to paint it turquoise and then sand, stand and seal. I want it to look distressed. What is the best way to do this?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-04-05T00:00:00+0000  by AllisonHammett AllisonHammett

Welcome to our community AllisonHammett!

My name is Christine and I work in the paint department at The Home Depot.

Before you paint, you are going to want to either sand the surface to roughen it up, or use a liquid deglosser. Both of these will prep the surface so it is ready to paint.

After you have done this, it’s time to paint! I would recommend using a paint and primer in one. This will save you from having to do a separate primer. Both Glidden and Behr have a paint and primer in one option available. As far as sheen is concerned, I would do either an eggshell or satin finish, especially since you are going to distress the piece.

Now comes the fun part! There are no set rules when it comes to distressing. Typically, when people distress, they run steel wool over the piece as opposed to sand paper. This will give more of a dragging look.  

Another technique that is used when distressing is using a faux finishing glaze on top. Typically, people use a brown colored glaze. We sell a glaze by Rust-Oleum that comes in “Java Brown”. The glaze will make the color slightly darker and will bring out any carvings in the piece. You can use as much, or as little as you want, the choice is yours. If you accidently put too much on, you can simply wipe it off before it dries.

After you are satisfied with how everything looks, apply a water based polyurethane on top.

If you have any more questions, please let us know!

Happy Painting,

Christine  :)

Posted 2013-04-08T15:49:34+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+