Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

REseeding Lawn

It's now September - when can one reseed their lawn?  When can you apply weed and feed fertilzier - before or after and what time frame?

Thank you!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-09-07T21:34:34+0000  by need2know need2know

Hi need2know,

After you have re-seeded you lawn, you will need to wait about 30 days before applying any fertilizer.  The fertilizer is very hot and if it lies next to a newly sprouted grass seed it will burn it.  If you apply a light coating of topper over the grass seed, you can use a “Starter Fertilizer” after you have applied the topper to cover the grass seed. 

Scotts Starter Fertilizer.jpg Vigoro Starter Fertilizer.jpg

With the application of 1/8 inch of the topper, this will insulate the newly sprouted grass seed from the fertilizer.  A starter fertilizer is high in Phosphate and is much lower in Nitrogen then regular grass fertilizers.  The higher phosphate in a Starter Fertilizer is a root stimulator for your grass seed.  A traditional fertilizer can be applied about 45-60 days later.  

Be sure that you have applied at least one inch of water on your lawn before you have applied any fertilizer.  The lawn needs to be hydrated before a fertilizer is applied.  After the application of a grass fertilizer, be sure to water the grass again for about 10 minutes.  This process helps to dissolve the fertilizer.

Have fun with your grass.  I am sure it will look beautiful when you are all done.

This has been another of,

Posted 2012-09-07T23:01:16+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Thnaks for the advice.  Just one more question - what's the latest in the year I can put the weed and feed on the lawn?  I live in NJ.

Posted 2012-09-09T12:49:44+0000  by need2know

Hello need2know,

I'm Grow2girl from The Home Depot.  The best time to apply Wintergard with weed control for your area is no later than Mid-October.  However, if the weather stays warm then you may still apply it after that date.

Posted 2012-09-11T15:45:00+0000  by Jen_HD_BOS

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+