Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

RUST

I HAVE A BATHROOM BASEBOARD HEATER THAT HAS RUSTED DUE TO BATHROOM MOSTURE.

HOW SHOULD I GET RID OF THE RUST AND WHAT PAINT SHOULD I USE TO PREVENT THE RUSTS RETURN?

THANK YOU, ARTIE

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-05-26T17:13:54+0000  by toaster toaster

Hi Artie,

Your first chore will be simply removing the rusting vent and/or hood from the baseboard heater.

Rust that only slightly discolors the metal should be removed with 220-grit sandpaper.

Heavier rust would require a wire brush followed by 220-grit sandpaper.

Once the rusted metal is clean and smooth, take a moment to sand any other areas that appear rough.

Essentially, this step will break down any blemishes that are not rusty, but may show-thru the new coat of paint.

Apply a fine coat of Rust-Oleum Primer to cover only the sanded spots and allow to dry 30-minutes.

Then apply a full coat of primer over the entire vent cover and allow to dry about an hour.

Examine the cover one final time and then spray two or three coats of Rust-Oleum Spray in your color and sheen of choice, waiting about 30-minutes between coats.

A clear coat is optional ... Rust-Oleum offers flat, satin, semi-gloss, and gloss paints.

Allow the cover to dry overnight and re-install.

NOTE:
All Rust-Oleum spray paints are rated for use on surfaces like your heater cover.

So, there is no need for high-heat paint in this application.

Hope this helps,

Pat InPaint

Posted 2016-05-26T19:09:43+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Hello toaster and welcome to the Community.

There is 2 products that may meet your needs. Rust-Oleum rust reformer spray and Corroseal Rust Converter Primer.  Both products chemically converts rust to a protected, paintable surface.

Click on this Link to choose which Rust-oleum work best for your project.

Follow the direction to prep your heater and apply. Find user instructions under specifications.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Charlotte

Posted 2016-05-26T19:19:22+0000  by Char_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+