Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Railings

I am looking to replace the railings in my house with a combination of wood and wrought iron.  Where do I find a how-to book or instructions?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2010-10-14T16:51:32+0000  by Paulette Paulette

Hi Paulette,

Injecting some new life into an existing staircase is a great way to bring a lot of personality to a home. Whether you are looking to create something really elegant or want something with a more rustic/traditional feel, the biggest factor in attacking a project like this is preparation. Look around for design inspiration, study up the techniques required, plan, plan and plan some more.  I’ve included a link to a book called Building Stairs by “for Pros by Pros” that I’d recommend. It’s an instructional book that focuses on railings, trim, and specialty staircases. Let me know if you find it helpful and feel free to let me know if you have any questions as you prepare for this project.

Cheers,

ChrisFixit

Posted 2010-10-15T18:06:31+0000  by Chris_HD_ATL

Hello Paulette,

One important thing I wanted to add to ChrisFixit's note, I strongly suggest that you check with your local building codes regarding spacing of the Balusters (the up & down bars) as some cities have regulations regarding the spacing of each post for child safety concerns--since a child's head may become wedged between the Balusters.

We are here for you, and we would like to see pictures when you finish your project.

Posted 2010-10-18T19:46:32+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

just installed crafted composite deck railing i went with using Fiberon Horizon Plus railing. it really  adds style with out lossing the design aspect . Go read up on horizon plus railing at www.fiberondecking.com

Posted 2011-03-17T16:40:33+0000  by CGR-1

I know the subject is on railings , but could you provide assistance in building a diy parallel grab bars that is 5" long. What equipment would be needed ?

Posted 2012-09-11T01:20:52+0000  by leahabelon

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+