Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Raised bed garden soil mix

I have just constructed two raised bed gardens that are 4' X 8'.  I'm not at all sure what materials to use to develop the soil mix.  For convenience, I would like to use pre-packaged materials available at The HD.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-04-04T14:09:56+0000  by sturmme sturmme

Howdy Strumme,

Most expert gardeners will agree that the key to great tasting and high yield crops is the soil. Although you may hear many different opinions on the best mixture, as long as there is nutrient rich and proper draining soil, you will be surprised on how well your garden will do.

So let’s talk about soils. As you mentioned you would like to use “ready-made” soil mixture so here is what I like to use on my raised bed vegetable gardens:

Using Kellogg raised bed and outdoor mix is a great start to getting your raised garden beds started. I recommend using no more than 12 inches of soil to keep optimum drainage properties.

After about 2-3 months I like to add some organic soil to add nutrients like Dr. Earth Vegetable Garden Planting mix. This great blend of organic material is rich enough to plants from seed.

If you have more questions just ask,

Happy Gardening,

Coach Dave

Posted 2015-04-06T16:32:15+0000  by Dave_HD_OC
Hi Strumme,

I agree with Dave's advice here, but I noticed that you are in Tennessee. If you look for the brand name products that Dave recommends, you won't find those brands here in the east.

Dave's in California and The Home Depot offers Kellogg and Dr. Earth brand products in our western districts, but not in the east.

We offer Vigoro, Scott's, Miracle Gro, Timberline and other brands that will vary by region.

One thing is for sure though, good dirt grows good food no mater where you are and The Home Depot will supply that soil, no matter where you are!

-Travis
Posted 2015-04-07T12:43:57+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+