Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Raising a couch behind another couch

Hello all,

My wife cleared me to use an extra kids room as my man cave - unfortunatly the room is quite small. I have already wall mounted a hdtv, set up a great sound system, and put a couch in there. Now i'm thinking I'd like to make it sort of like a theater or video-game room. Onto my somewhat rediculous question; I would like to put another couch in this room for 'staduim' seating, how can I saftely raise this couch 3 feet or so behind the other couch? The couch has 4 thick exposed wooden end pieces/legs - and is about 3x8 ft. If possible I'd like to allow some storage underneath the couch and put it on a platform instead of 'stilts'.

Thank you,

James

Bonus points if I can get a reply before this weekend so I can build it for the superbowl :).

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-01-22T06:41:54+0000  by james_turner james_turner

Hi James, what an awesome idea! 

FYI we're working on this right now. Give us some time, and check back for an answer later today if you can.

George 

Posted 2013-01-22T15:38:56+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Awesome, thanks a lot for the quick reply, I'll be sure to check back later!

Posted 2013-01-22T16:27:17+0000  by james_turner
Quite innovative James! I must appreciate your taste and positive thinking. You must work on your great idea.
Posted 2013-01-24T09:22:27+0000  by belmanliving

you have the right idea going.  all you need to do is build a raised platform that accomidates the size of the couch and a walkway in front of the couch.  How high you build the platform is completely up to you, but remember that typical step heights are around 7 1/4", so if you go higher than that you will have to incorporate some sort of steps up to the platform.  We have this exact setup in one of the cabins here at the resort and it orks out really well.  You dont have to build the platform as high as you would think to make it work.

Posted 2013-01-24T16:19:35+0000  by joshcameron
Here you go James,

I think you had it all figured out already, you just needed someone to put it in works.

So basically, like you’ve already mentioned in your post, you’re building a platform to elevate the couch above the couch that’s in front of it. Having said that, I would set the platform to where, once the couch its set on top of it, “new” seating area is raised at the level of the backrest of the couch that’s in front of it.

We're still having technical issues with posting images here on the forums, but I know you want to see this asap, so I created a special blog post just for you!

And promise you will post a photo of your finished results when you are done. I'd love to see how it turned out!

George
Posted 2013-01-25T19:36:44+0000  by George_HD_CHI
You're welcome James. Also trim the three 8ft. boards down to 93 inches so that plywood is flush with the sides, something i need to add to the original instructions. George
Posted 2013-01-26T00:15:02+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+