Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Re-Grout

Hello,

I need to re-grout my shower, and not sure what type of grout to use: Adhesive Grout or just regular Grout? Please advise.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-12-23T17:11:02+0000  by Ilir123 Ilir123

Hi llir123,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

First off, you'll need to find out how much of an area you are needing to re-grout. 

Any grout (or tile) that is loose or cracked must be removed before re grouting. You can remove grout using a grout saw (shown below), that will take care of proper grout removal.

Once the old grout is removed, then you can place new grout on it. ALWAYS use grout and never adhesive grout (unless its where the tile meets another surface).

Unless its a very small area, only use grout that isn't pre-mixed but rather grout that needs to be mixed with water. This type of grout dries faster and more harder than the pre-mixed versions. 

Be sure to use non-sanded grout if the grout space is no wider than 1/8", and use sanded grout if the space is 1/8" or wider. 

Let us know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2015-12-23T17:53:11+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Hello llir123 and welcome to the Community.

I just wanted to add to Josephs response and mention that is very important to seal the Grout after it has dried to prevent mold and mildew.  This may also eliminate the need to have to replace the grout again.

Also if you have a large area to remove that grout you can use power tools with a accessories design for that purpose.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Charlotte

Posted 2015-12-24T14:46:29+0000  by Char_HD_CHI
Hi llir123,

Dremel Oscillating Tool combined with their Grout Removal Blade will make your job much easier than removing grout with a hand saw.

As Char indicates, use TileLab SurfaceGard Sealer to protect your entire surface once the new grout dries.

A spray bottle is also available.

These additions will increase your budget by about $130 USD, and the labor will be much easier on your hands.

NOTE:
Wear eye protection when operating this power tool.
Posted 2016-01-07T15:56:59+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+