Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Re enforcing Floor Trusses

My house has floor trusses that were made using finger joints and glue and 2x4s.
The floor in some parts of the house deflects quite a bit and I was thinking of ways to possibly re enforce the trusses with either nail plates or plywood gussets. I'm leaning more toward the gusset method with glue but not sure what size nails I should use. I don't want to use something too big that is going to compromise the integrity of the trusses. I was think about possibly 2 inch nails 2 inches or more apart to attach the gussets with. Some input please.

Here is what they look like.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-12-30T11:15:45+0000  by rfxcasey rfxcasey

Hi rfxcasey,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community.

The image you uploaded gives us a better idea of what you want. Personally, I've never heard of anyone simply gluing a fastening piece directly to a joist. 

Typically, you'd use nails or screws in that situation. The makers of our 'gussets' and tie plates, SImpson StrongTie, has a guide shown below and linked here so you can view it yourself.

The link above in the previous sentence shouldn't be overlooked; it has a lot of great information regarding giving a more sturdy build to your trusses.

In your situation, I'd recommend a tie plate with a 16d nail. If installed properly, they work very well for reinforcing frame members. To read more about it, please click here.

Simpson Strong-Tie 1-13/16 in. x 5 in. Tie Plate

Giving reinforcements to the joists may not be the solution though to your deflected floors. There are other ways you can give your floor above a solid base.

For example, one way is by shimming the subfloor or even nailing the floor itself. 

Shimming the subfloorNailing From Above

To see all your options available, please click here.

For any additional questions, please let us know.

Joseph

Posted 2015-12-30T15:34:30+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+