Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Re-finishing a desk

I have a mid-century modern desk that I have nearly finished removing the previous wood stain finish.  I have done some research and I havn't been able to find the most effective method of re-finishing and painting furniture.  

For instance, to what grit should the bare furniture be sanded before painting?  If the paint has primer in it, should the furniture be primed anyway?  Should wet sanding be done?  To what grit?

If I can get a good, time efficient method for this desk and any other furniture projects, that'd be great!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-09-18T02:37:44+0000  by Skipp Skipp

Hello Skipp!

Thank you for your questions! Refinishing a piece of furniture is a great way to update it and make it fit with your current decor. How easy and effective refinishing is depends on the amount of time, money and skill you have going in to your project. It also depends on the look that you are going for. There isn't just one way to refinish furniture, there are just different ways that people have tried and have had success with. I will discuss with you what I have done and seen done. :)

The first thing I thought about when I read your post was the Rust-Oleum Furniture Transformation kit. This kit includes everything you need to refinish furniture, including a deglosser, bond coat (tinted to one of the colors on the lid of the box) and protective top coat. If your furniture has a rough texture that you would like to get rid of, you will need to use sandpaper. The deglosser will only prep the piece for the bond coat, it will not knock down texture. I have heard very good things about the ease of this kit. 

Side note: If you have a texture that you would like to get rid of, you will want to use different grits of sand paper to achieve a smooth finish. Start with a 60 grit sandpaper, then, once the texture is gone, switch to 80-100 grit. If it is not as smooth as you would like, switch to 150-200 grit sandpaper. There is no need to wet sand. However, you can use an electric sander if that would be easier for you.  

I have painted furniture and what you have done already is perfect prep for painting. Once it is sanded smooth, you will want to prime it with an oil based primer. After the primer is dry, sand lightly with 180- 200 grit sandpaper. Then, you can use any paint on top. Typically people use semi-gloss or high-gloss paint for furniture. In between each coat of paint, sand lightly with 180-200 grit sandpaper.

Good luck with your project. Please send us pictures when you done! If you have any more questions about this project or any future projects, let us know!

Christine :)

Posted 2013-09-18T17:52:32+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+