Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

Receiver Burn Out / Fire

The other day my fella & I were enjoying the breeze from our new Altura fan when we heard a POP and saw an ember fly out of the fan and on to the carpet, next we smelled burning wire. We immediately turned off the fan at the wall flipped the circuit off.

In the morning I dissassbeled the fan and found that the remote receiver / controller was charred.

IMAG01982.jpg

Even if I remove & replace it I am not super excited to have this thing in my house. What would cause such a thing to happen?

It is on a 15Amp circuit that did not trip when the fan popped.

If I bypass the controller will the fan still be ok to use?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-09-19T14:13:38+0000  by kate2012 kate2012

Hi, Kate.

I am so sorry for the problem with the fan! I can assure you this is not a known occurence with this fan. I just spoke to the manufacturer, King of Fans (800-330-3267), and the rep advised this was the first time she'd ever heard of it happening.

Please give them a call to discuss the matter. They can advise if a new receiver will resolve, if you can bypass it, etc.

If you have any questions or they are not able to resolve the matter to your satisfaction, please email me directly at Nicki_Care@homedepot.com. Please remind me you posted on the How To Community about this & the details from your call with King of Fans.

Thank you very much for making us aware of this issue & reaching out. I'm here if you need me.

- Nicki

Posted 2012-09-19T19:52:02+0000  by THDCustomerCare

I'm  sorry but this happens quite a lot.  I've had 3 receivers burn  up in 3 years on 3 different fans. They are not as bad as this but they still charred the board and melted the case  a little. 

If you read the home depot boards and just google search, you'll find dozens and dozens of people haging the same issues.

Something has to change with these garbage receivers.

Posted 2013-09-22T00:30:52+0000  by KReview75

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+