Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

Recessed Lighting suggestion

I am getting ready to replace all of the Recessed lighting in my kitchen and I would like to use a 4" LED version that is IC approved. Does anyone have any suggestions. I can easily get to my attic to install them.





Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-12-17T22:31:49+0000  by Master_of_None Master_of_None

Hey Master_of_None,


Thank you for your question and welcome to the community!


The way most recessed lighting out there works, is that the housing that holds the light is separate from the light and trim itself. However, there are a few that have everything in one kit.


One that we sell in our store that is 'all-in-one' IC-rated kit and housing is shown and linked below. Click on it for additional information.

This, as well as other remodeling type fixtures, works by cutting a hole in the ceiling between the ceiling joists.

2 options to cut into a ceiling


Since you have attic access, you could use hanger bars, but honestly I'd only go up there just to run the wires to the lights.


Place them how and where you'd prefer them to be, and make sure the ones you use are IC rated (most in the industry sold in stores are already).


If you decide to buy another type, be aware that you'd most likely have to buy the housing and trim separately...which can be more money than the one shown above.


Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns regarding your new lighting options.




Posted 2013-12-18T15:19:29+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL



Thanks, My wife has decided that she would like the Bronze trim. I was thinking about using a H995ICAT box with a HBR452BCB Trim. Do you think this makes sense? What kind of LED bulb would I buy for this option?





Posted 2013-12-18T18:22:36+0000  by Master_of_None

Sorry I meant  CERT4741BZH not HBR452BCB on the Trim.

Posted 2013-12-18T18:38:04+0000  by Master_of_None

Hey again Jeremy,


Yes, since both the Hampton Bay 4 in. Recessed Brushed Bronze trim with glasshousing is the same size as the Halo T24 New Construction Housing...they will work together.



Even though they are different brands, Hampton Bay makes their springs to fit the Halo brand. Your wife picked a great looking trim, so choosing a light bulb for it is important.


While you can use a standard type A19 (the regular pear-looking) shape, your housing/trim should also work for a PAR16 shape/size light bulb too.


The PAR (stands for Parabolic Aluminized Reflector) works to shine light directly downwards, and an A-shaped light bulb doesn't shine as directionally as this small flood bulb. The housing inside where the socket goes will have a UL sticker that will tell you of wattage and size requirements....but a PAR16 should work fine for you.


Click on the image of the LED in that particular shape below for more information.

Please let me know if you have any further questions,


Posted 2013-12-18T18:39:41+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL



I didn't see the CERT4741BZH part number....did you have a SKU or Internet number instead?


As stated earlier, a Hampton Bay/Commercial Electric (both companies we own) trims will work for any Halo housings.


Keep us updated,


Posted 2013-12-18T18:41:51+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question