Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Recessed lighting

Sooooooo....... Somehow our new construction recessed canned lights didn't get wired. The electrical is right at the light but not hooked up. The dry wall is completely finished. Is there any way to fix this without tearing out drywall. I would even be up for tearing out cans and then wiring in remodel canned lights. I just don't want to have to deal with fixing the drywall. Obviously this is in a ceiling with no attic access. 
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-07-10T14:02:19+0000  by Ajensen Ajensen

I hate the being the bearer of bad news but new work cans require the wires to be connected before the drywall goes up.  Did the fixtures look something like this?

If you're electrician made the mistake, then it would be his responsibility to fix it including having the drywall repaired.
Posted 2015-07-11T09:16:42+0000  by Adam444

Hey Ajensen,

I'd first get a voltage tester or multimeter out on the recessed lights and see if only a few (hopefully) are not connected. 

Regardless when you are going to remove the drywall where the cans are, placing a remodeling version wouldn't be necessary, as long as you carefully remove the existing ones (new const. or remodeling).

Once you make the connections, and place the fixtures back into the ceiling, then you can repair the ceiling (if it is new construction). For remodeling housing, you can repair the drywall up until you make a 6 inch hole. Once that is done and the electrical connections are made, then you can place the housing into the repaired sheetrock.

The biggest factor is to really make sure that the drywall is repaired properly with tape and spackling. It's something that has to be done...so ensure the repair lines are smooth when the primer and ceiling paint goes over it.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Joseph

Posted 2015-07-11T16:09:08+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
I'm afraid Adam is right Ajensen,

I recently wrote about not being afraid to back up one giant step when projects don't go as planned.

Before backing up, take Joe's advice and check all electrical breakers, switches, boxes (to see if you might "snake" a wire to the switch or light boxes), and power at each light.

In the sequence, you will eliminate all possibilities to recover.

Once you complete the list, your last resort will be opening the wall.

And, at that point, you control the extent of the repair by making clean, simple openings.

It is unreasonable to imagine that 100-percent of our projects will go exactly as planned.

And, when they don't, think through all your options and keep the repair as clean and simple as possible.

The new lights should really improve your utility in that room.
Posted 2015-07-14T17:39:43+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+