Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Recommended paint for metal shipping containers

My son is doing a service project at his school.  They have 2 large metal shipping containers which are used to store athletic equipment.
These are the type of containers you typically see on cargo ships.  He is repainting the containers in the school colors.

What is the best type of paint to use for this project.  The containers have the original paint on them, but I'm not sure which type of paint it is.  I understand that if its an oil based paint, we should use oil based paint to repaint it.  Could we use oil based paint if the original paint was water based latex?  Is it best to use oil based paint now anyway?

Thanks.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-10-08T17:21:38+0000  by rcenturion rcenturion

Hi recenturion,

You may use a latex paint over oil based paint. Oil based paint today is not the same quality as paint available in the past due to extreme environmental restrictions on its content.

I would use a good quality latex paint such as Behr Premium Plus Ultra, this paint is primer and paint in one, it will cover almost any color and can be tinted to match you sons' school colors.

Just make sure the containers are clean and dry, with no chemical residue on the surface before painting.

Mike

Posted 2016-10-17T19:58:06+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

These type containers typically have an abundance of rust on them. You will either want to remove the rust and spot prime with Rustoleums's rusty metal primer, or treat the spots with Rustoleums rust converting primer. With the rust converter, the rust is not removed, but simply sprayed with the rust converting liquid. The rust will turn black and be ready for paint.
Posted 2016-10-19T20:55:34+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+