Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Refrigerator installation

I replaced a old fridge with a new one and tried to use the same waterline and connections that I used on the old one.  The older fridge had waterhose like connection on the back of it, but the waterline (1/4 copper) used some kind an adaptor connection to convert to the right size for that this fridge.

My new fridge has what it appears to me as a 1/4 inch connection on the back of it.  So I just took the adaptor off the old line and put that connector straight to my new refrigerator..Looks like it should work and then I turn the water on and water comes pouring out of the top of the nut that connects the line to the fridge so it fits on there but it seems like its not sending the water down to the fridge 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2010-12-28T20:25:34+0000  by dlynn2022 dlynn2022

Hello dlynn2022 and thank you for joining The Community!  We are glad to help you. 


Congratulations on the new refrigerator!  Some appliances require their branded water supply kits to keep the warranty valid.  To provide the best solution to your water line situation, can you tell me the brand and model of the new frig?


We look forward to helping you with this project and Happy New Year!


Posted 2010-12-28T21:31:37+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

Hello dlynn2022,

It sounds like you’re old line possibly had a compression fitting on it. This is the most common way to connect an ice maker line. The adaptor that you mentioned was probably converting it from MIP(male iron pipe) or FIP(female iron pipe) threads to compression threads so that the copper water line could be attached.  By only using the nut and not the adaptor you do not have the other side of the compression fitting so the compression sleeve doesn't’t have anything to properly seat against. No need to worry though this is still an easy fix. All you have to do is run down to your local Home Depot and get a new adaptor that is the correct size for your new refrigerator or as Designingwomen mentioned you also can get a braided supply line. They have FIP fittings on them so you don’t have to worry about an adaptor as long as you get the same size as your angle valve and your refrigerator. Make sure that you always follow the manufactures recommendations so that you don’t void your warranty.

If the refrigerator is designed for a compression fitting and it still leaks then the old compression sleeve needs to be replaced. Sometimes for what ever reason the sleeve won't seal properly once it is taken off. With copper pipe all you have to do is cut the copper tubing about 1/2" beyond the compression sleeve and then install a new nut and sleeve.

I have attached a few different pictures to help you identify the parts that I have mentioned.

male comp fitting.jpgfem comp fitting.jpgcomp sleeve.jpgss supply line.jpg comp nut.jpg

MIP x Comp                  FIP x Comp          Compression        Stainless Steel Braided    Compression Nut

                                                                            Sleeve                               Hose                            with Sleeve


**Again always make sure that you follow the recommendations by the Manufacture of the unit you have in order not to void your warranty.**


I hope this helps you fix your leaky refrigerator. Let me know if you have any other questions.  

Posted 2010-12-29T19:24:43+0000  by Christine_HD_OC
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question