Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Relocating exposed wiring to install a 110 outlet

Hi everyone,

I have a few projects I am working on (trying to work on, lol) and I need some help.  First time homeowner and not incredibly handy or experienced with home projects, but working on it.  I have some exposed wires which are actually located very close to where I would like to install a 110 outlet for use with an over the range microwave that will be installing soon.  

I basically need a step by step on this, I did see this post: http://community.homedepot.com/t5/Install-Replace/Installing-a-new-wall-outlet/m-p/10525#M890 that basically indicates not to do electrical work yourself, but I wondered if it might be easier since the wiring already exists and it is basically just moving it and connecting an outlet, but I will leave that to the experts to decide.  On a budget and really hoping to not have to hire an electrician.

Hole with wires indicated by red circle, desired location is on the back wall of the shelf, indicated by red box.

wires.jpg

Close up of wiring:

wires2.jpg

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-03-21T23:41:33+0000  by amosher13 amosher13

Hi amosher13,

Let’s introduce with – I know how is to be a first time “home in need of numerous repairs” -owner on a budget.:|

How to go about this project…

Well technically all it takes here is to make the opening around the cable bigger, install a new box on the desired location and feed the cable to it.

However, having said this is the outlet for the over-the-range microwave, I would advise to consider having this inspected and re-routed by an electrician.

Why? because microwaves are high current appliances that draw more than “normal” amounts of electricity.

Nowadays it is a code and a good building practice to have microwaves wired on the dedicated circuits

To have this safely wired you would need to see first how much really you have connected on the circuit that is controlling that same cable. Easy way to figure this out is to turn it off at the breaker panel and see what else has lost power besides the cable you intend on re-routing.

Obviously putting too much on a breaker will cause breaker to flip or wire to burn.

Old homes were not originally designed with microwaves and dishwashers in mind, the cable you are looking at is probably piggy backed from one of the countertop outlets or the lights that are in the kitchen.

Before proceeding please make sure wiring microwave to that circuit will not exceed 50 percent of total amperage rating of that circuit. Or bring it up to code and have it put on the dedicated circuit.

Hope this helps and please do not hesitate to post back with any additional questions you may have.

George

Posted 2013-03-25T16:39:47+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+