Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Remod from cafe to single family home

I have a 2000 sq ft cafe that I will be remodeling into a home for my family and I. Looking to take up all laminate tile and do a concrete stain on whole place then carpet the bedrooms. Any suggestions on how to go about this and thoughts on doing the concrete stain for home?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-04-28T19:21:05+0000  by Project1Cafe Project1Cafe

Absolutely Project1Cafe,

In your local Tool Rental Department, you'll find a hammer drill set that contains a chisel bit.

This simple tool will make quick work of removing the tile.

Wear a dust mask and protective gear, then start at one side of each room and work the chisel under a row of tile.

Continue row-by-row until tile is removed ... a shovel and pail will help you discard remnants.

Then use a diamond blade etcher (shown in the video link below) to cut the remaining glue or mortar to smooth the surface.

This tool is available at many Tool Rental Departments, but not all.

I made this "How To" video to demonstrate this tool.

Watch Our How-To Video

A shop vac will help eliminate dust and other remnants.

Once the floor is smooth, Behr Semi-Transparent Concrete Stain can be used to create a mottled, faux finish using several colors.

Or, you can use Behr Solid Color Concrete Stain if you prefer more uniform appearance.

Both products contain colorant and water proofing.

These durable coatings are labeled, "Chemical and Hot Tire Resistant."

Two coats with a 3/8ths nap roller and the largest part of your project will be done.

My good friend, Kevin, describes several application options in an earlier thread (you will not need to pressure wash after using the diamond blade etcher).

CARPET:
When it comes to carpet, it is hard to beat The Home Depot's installation specials.

Take time to get a measure and quote from your local Flooring Associate.

The cost of the measure is often reimbursed when the project is complete.

If you prefer to DIY your carpet, your Flooring Associate can show you tack strips or carpet adhesive for the perimeter of the rooms being carpeted.

Cap-driven concrete nails or floor-rated adhesives will help you anchor the tack strips.

And you will have numerous examples of carpet texture and color from which to select.

Once done, take time to come back and share your success with The Community.

After all, the greatest part of DIY is sharing your new-found expertise with others.

Hope this helps,

Pat InPaint

BTW Project1Cafe:
Don't be surprised if I show up at your door around meal time!?!

Posted 2016-04-28T20:11:23+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+