Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Remodel/Paint stone fireplace? - Help and advice wanted!

Hi All, 

We are considering remodelling or updating the fireplace in the family room. As you can see from the photos below, the current stone hearth is somewhat inproportionate to the small room, and makes the space look really cramp. 

We are thinking of remodelling the fireplace, but we're wary of the potential costs involved or whether it's possible to DIY?

Another idea is to paint the fireplace (stone + mantel ) white, and the room another shade of white/light blue to make the space look more airy/spacious. However, we're aren't sure of what kind of paint to use and whether painting the stone veeneer will devalue the fireplace.

Any help or advice will be much appreciated!

Fireplace_2.jpg

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-05-17T20:35:21+0000  by binny_peh binny_peh

Hi Binny_Peh, Welcome to the community.

I would not recommend painting the fireplace. The stone makes a great presentation and painting it will reduce its value and degrade its appearance.

If you would like to change the look of the room, try painting the walls. Go for a light color one that complements the furnishings. If the furniture and the walls are similar colors the room will look bigger.

Contrasting colors tend to break up a space. Pieces of furniture are less interrupting and tend to blend with the space if they're colored to match the wall color.

Get rid of clutter, there's nothing that makes a small space feel cramped more than having too much stuff.

Consider removing the sofa and adding two smaller chairs in its place. Or rearrange the room to place the sofa opposite the fireplace rather than next to it.

How about placing the flat screen TV above the fireplace and removing the TV stand?

Consider putting in floor to ceiling mirror on either side of the fireplace. We did this in our home and it made the room look twice as big.

Any room will look larger if it's well-lit, either by natural light or artificial lighting. Consider adding track lighting and can lights in the ceiling.

I hope these ideas are useful to you.

Mike,

Posted 2012-05-17T22:10:43+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Another option would be to build a removable cover over the fireplace.  Just design and build a traditional surround mantle like the one below and attach it to the wall.  This way you can remove it later if you decide the stone is a better look.

build.jpg

See if it is possible to remove the existing wood mantle shelf.  Then just add wooden braces to the wall around the existing stone and attach the new mantle to the outside of those braces.

We would be glad to walk you through it in more detail if your interested in going in that direction.  

Posted 2012-05-20T15:05:30+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Thanks both for your ideas and suggestions!

PaintPro: The removable cover sounds like an attractive option. Can you please walk through the process/steps in detail? Also, what are the types of material options available for this surround mantle? Thanks in advance!

Posted 2012-05-22T05:49:14+0000  by binny_peh

Hey there binny_peh,

PaintPro is out for the day, but let me try to answer some of your questions.

Surround mantels are available in three different material options; prefinished or paint grade wood, cast stone and polyurethane foam. Foam and wood are considered flammable materials and therefore not recommended to be used next to open flame wood or gas burning fireplaces- which is yours.

This leaves us with cast stone.

What is cast stone?

Cast stone is made of crushed stone, gypsum and mixed with special additives. This mixture is then poured into custom molds. Once removed from the mold there can be some air pockets which if small, add to the design and texture of the natural stone. Larger pockets are hand filled with the same stone mixture. This process provides the ‘distressed” and antiqued look of natural stone.

Installation;

Stone mantels are installed differently than wood or foam mantels. Stone mantels are basically glued on to the wall ,while foam and wood mantels are cover type that are attached to the wood nailers previously placed around the opening.

This said you would have to remove all of the stone of the wall, including hearth, in order to “correctly” install a new cast stone mantel.

In addition to stone all of the adhesive used should also be removed and wall patched and smoothed out.

I would keep the “bench” in place, considering amount of work required to rebuild it, I would just plaster it and re use as a backing for the faux stone.

These are the installation steps from the manufacturer; they are pretty straight forward the only info I would add is that you are going to need to purchase and extension for the bench. Bellow the attached instructions you will find links that will direct you to the page on our website with all the different  mantels and accessories.

mantel1.JPG

mantel2.JPG

mantel3.JPG

mantel4.JPG

Click on the image to get re-directed to the product on our webiste;

Mantel

mantel hd.JPG

Hope this helps and please don’t hesitate to ask for additional guidance you may need, we are here to help.

George

Posted 2012-05-22T17:37:21+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Hello Binny_Peh and welcome to the community. Just to add a little something here I noticed paint pro has a diagram of a remodel for the mantel. Here’s how it might look:

Untitled.png

Another thing I was going to suggest just an idea is go all the way up with stone and paint the rest of the wall you will also create an accent wall as well. You will create a focal point I see it all the time on HGTV. Here’s an example:

fire place.png

Create a rustic look and HDAnswerman  has a great point by fresh coat of paint arranging furniture or removing  furniture. Remember less is more, I hope these examples shed some light.

Posted 2012-05-22T20:00:39+0000  by Soheil_HD_BOS
How is the surround attached to the stone? Adhesive? I would like to do something like this over brick.
Posted 2012-08-16T23:13:26+0000  by Ciaotonia

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+