Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Answered

Remove Adhesive from Plaster Walls

We recently bought a house that had a wall covered in these little square mirror. You know the kind that were popular in the 70's..

We managed to get the mirrors off and are now stuck with a atleast 100 small squares of foam mounting tape. (Its pretty much just double sided tape.)

The foam padding is coming off but the sticky side is still on the wall. We cannot figure out how to get it off. We tried using a heat gun but this stuff is old and crusty. The heat isn't doing much to help. I mean, it helps a little but not much. We tried getting it damp but that was completely useless.

We have textured plaster walls and are trying to not completely destroy them. Any advice on how to get this stuff up?

We don't want to use anything oily because we don't want it to absorb into the plaster and cause more issues when we try to paint.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-03-06T17:51:56+0000  by KimBuechel KimBuechel

Hello Kim!

Thanks for joining The Community!

You are so right!

Any type of solvent-based adhesive remover may create an oily spot on your textured plaster walls.

Taking care to not damage the texture on your walls, I would first try 220-grit sandpaper to hand-sand the adhesive.

Change paper regularly because adhesives tend to "gum up" the gritty side of sandpaper.

If that does not work, resolve that you may have to use a solvent-based adhesive remover.

At The Store, we've found that Citrus Magic odor eliminating spray is very effective at removing the sticky adhesive when price labels are changed on the metal beams.

As a second adhesive removing solvent, I would recommend Goof Off.

Finally, if you must use a solvent, be prepared to use an oil-based primer to seal the oily spot and then repaint the room with water-based paint.

There is no perfect repair to remove adhesive from your plaster walls, but with a tiny bit more effort and a little time, you'll be back enjoying that space ... without ever knowing those mirrors were there.

Best Answer

Posted 2013-03-07T20:29:57+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Thanks for the Approved Solution Kim!

You are so welcome.

When you finish the repair, drop-in to give us your pointers ... what worked best.

Posted 2013-03-12T14:33:47+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
thank you, pat! great advice about using an oil based primer. Sounds like common sense now that you mention it but I know I wouldn't have thought of it myself!
Posted 2013-03-07T23:22:00+0000  by KimBuechel

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+