Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Remove ceiling accoustics

How do I remove the 'popcorn' accoustics from my ceilings?  Then what is the best (& easiest) way to finish the ceilings after removal?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-04-21T16:08:34+0000  by karenrodriguez karenrodriguez

I have a post with some video on the steps needed to do this project.

There is a special tool that you will need to get a hold of called a Popcorn Texture Removal Tool. I am placing a picture with a link for you below. This tool will save you hours of frustration and help you get the job done in record time.  

popcorn tool.jpg

Here are the steps:

1. Remove as much as possible out of the area just below the ceiling. If anything must be left, then you can wrap with plastic and seal it at the bottom. Remove any window fixtures as well, i.e.. curtains, blinds, etc...
  2. Completely cover the floor with plastic and secure the edges with blue tape (either directly on the carpet or to the baseboards). Cover any built in cabinets, fireplace mantle, ceiling fans, etc… with plastic. Optional: completely cover all walls (floor to ceiling) and tape off room entries. We carry a box of plastic called Painter’s Plastic.                                     plastic.jpg
  3. Get a heavy duty spray bottle or pump up sprayer and fill it with clean warm water. You will want to spray a 3 x 3 Ft. section of the ceiling until it is soaked. Let it stand for a few minutes and then use your scraping tool to gently remove the wet section. If all goes as planned, then it should drop into the attached bag. Just repeat this process until you are finished.
  4. Let the ceiling dry overnight, and the next day lightly sand the ceiling using a Pole Sander.pole sander.jpgKeep in mind that at this point the ceiling may have quite a few “imperfections in it. That’s alright – we will fix that later. You may want to sweep up the floor a little bit now that the texture has dried, but try and leave the plastic down if possible.
  5. Now it is a good time to prime the surface and help prepare it for the paint. This will also give you the ability to see the imperfections a little better. Tip: When the primer has dried, place a hand held light up to the ceiling - shining at an angle across the surface. This will expose the imperfections and allow you to patch those areas with drywall compound or spackling. Use a 3 inch putty knife and slightly “over fill” each dip, ding or hole. After that is all dry (a few hours), sand it one more time.
  6. Now you are ready for paint! Usually flat white ceiling paint is what is recommended, but you can actually pick any color that suits you. Tip: try rolling the paint along the wall of the main window light source (not towards it). This will hide roller marks when the light illuminates the surface. *see below.

ceiling.jpg   

I know it sounds like a lot of trouble, but it’s very rewarding when you tackle something like this on your own and can say “I did it”. Plus it adds value to your investment.

Video link here:

Thanks for joining the community. Please share before and after pictures so we can all be a part of the fun.

Posted 2013-04-21T17:37:29+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+