Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Removing OLD glue from vinyl tile on a cement floor. What do I use so I can paint the floor? Thank you.

How do I remove OLD (30 years) glue from vinyl tile on a cement Floor?  I tried sanding and a heat gun.  Neither works.  Thank you for your help.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-09-18T01:32:49+0000  by VickiPortugal VickiPortugal

Hey VickiPortugal,

Thank you for joining us here on the community.

Any old vinyl tile could have the presence of asbestos in it, so it is VERY important to have it tested before doing any further removal of the adhesive. Failure to do so can have the asbestos particles get trapped into your lungs. And that goes for whoever else that is in the room too.

Lets say for certain we know that the adhesive has no signs of asbestos, next you can opt for using a semi-paste (not liquid) adhesive remover.

Your local Home Depot sells various types of adhesive remover in the paint department that works very effectively alongside a stiff metal putty knife to get rid of those glue spots once and for all. 

Depending on the severity and thickness of the glue will determine how much adhesive remover to get. We sell it in quart and gallon sizes. You will need to use protective gloves and breathing masks to make sure you are working safe. 

The adhesive remover in gel form works very well by soaking into the glue and breaking it up for disposal, generally about 20 minutes after application.

Use this product, and you'll get the results you need for a clean floor that will be ready to get painted.

Let us know if you have any further questions,
Joseph

Posted 2017-09-18T16:49:11+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+