Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Removing Paint and Glue from Concrete Basement Floor

Hello,

I want to lay tile on my concrete basement floor, however I was told I need to remove the existing paint and glue that is presently there.  I tried using a scraper, but that only made the surface smooth.  There is still a thin layer of paint and/or glue remaining.

A tile setter with lots of experience tole me that I should sand the floor.  I would like to know what is the easiest and cheapest way to sand the floor?

It is approximately 300 square feet.

Thank you,

Stoph

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-09-20T13:15:29+0000  by Stoph Stoph

Hi, I am doing a similar project. I want to acid etch my cement, but need to remove the paint from the floor first. Sounds like the diamond etch tool would work, but I want to know if it creates a lot of dust. I have recently had my ceiling painted black and want to keep it looking good.

I read that paint thinner would work, but not thrilled about the odor that would work up with a baby in my house.

Thanks,
Aaron
Posted 2012-11-27T04:04:25+0000  by Linnymtu

You are so welcome Jennifer!

I'm pleased that you decided to join the thread.

EpoxyShield is an outstanding kit that contains almost everything you need to complete the project.

The thing I like most about the kit is it contains a DVD with step-by-step instruction.

NOTE: EpoxyShield in an interior-only product. So be certain to install only to the point where the garage door meets the floor and no further. It applied outside, UV light will degrade the surface and it will become gray and chalky. I recommend using tape to create a perfectly straight line across the floor where the garage door seal meets the floor.

Posted 2011-11-03T12:42:59+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Thanks for sharing this information with us....I like it..

Posted 2011-10-28T06:56:25+0000  by jennifer20yop

Hello SLSUMM!

Glad you joined us on The Community!

Yes, Rust-Oleum EpoxyShield does require contact with the cement to adhere properly.

In fact, the manufacturer includes a package of citric acid etcher that opens the pores of uncoated cement to help ensure proper bonding of their product to the floor.

In your case, the Diamond Blade Etcher is a great choice.

The tool will remove the layers and has a vacuum canister on top to help pick up the dust.

Check with your Tool Rental Associate for instructions about using the tool.

Not every store has this tool, so you may need to inquire around your area.

Posted 2011-10-25T17:10:25+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

I have a question that sort of relates to this thread.  Our basement has been covered in vinyl tiles over about 4 layers of paint.  We would like to apply the Rustoleum Epoxy Shield for basement floors.  We have already removed the tiles.  We have been chipping away at the paint.  Does this product require that we remove the paint?  If so, would the diamond blade etcher be the tool to use?

Thank you.

Posted 2011-10-25T14:11:24+0000  by slsumm

Hello 911Lady,

What a great follow-up question!

The Diamond Blade Etcher is a mechanical device designed specifically to remove most coatings from the surface of concrete ... including garage floor epoxy coatings.

This tool offers great remediation opportunities for most DIYers and Pros who need to refresh the surface before applying a new coating.

So go right ahead and remove that epoxy!

You'll spend a little time as well as labor, but when done your floor should be ready to resurface.

Posted 2011-10-25T12:05:56+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Will this process work if the concrete floor has been painted with an apoxy?

Posted 2011-10-24T01:15:12+0000  by 911lady

Hi Stoph!

Easiest and least expensive don't always go together, but in this case they might.

Go to or call your Store and ask Tool Rental if they have a "Diamond Blade Etcher."

This tool looks like a lawn mower hood with a shop vac attached to pick up the dust.

Under the hood is a rotary blade that will remove the surface coating as well as a thin layer of cement from your floor.

You will not find this tool at every location, but you should be able to locate one in your area.

NOTE: Just like a floor sander (for hardwoods), this tool will dig a hole if you allow it to sit in one place ... so keep moving at an even pace and you should get the results you want.

Hope your floors look great!

Posted 2011-09-20T17:21:19+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+