Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Removing Paint from a concrete floor

My basement floor is painted with concrete paint.  I want to tile it out but the floor is not level in some areas. I know using self leveling cement on a painted concrete floor is not a good idea.  How can I get the paint off the concrete and how hard of a project is this???

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-04-25T01:58:54+0000  by Veevaz Veevaz

Hello Jgrah!

Sorry to learn of your difficulty removing the epoxy coating from your floor.

Hexpin is not just one pad, but a whole system of pads designed to remove different surface coatings.

On their chart of tools used to remove epoxy coatings from concrete floors, they list four different pads:

1) 50/50 Cut;

2) Aggressive Chip;

3) Very Aggressive Chip; and

4) Turbo Cut

They also indicate that you can "add weight" to increase the cut ... this prevents the buffer from simply "floating" over the floor without cutting the surface.

Again, I'm sorry to learn of your problem and hope this additional information will prove helpful.

Posted 2012-11-20T15:11:18+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

I've just spent a couple of hours trying to remove a Benjamin Moore-Polyamide Epoxy Gloss Coating from my garage floor with this hexpin setup on a rotary floor buffer from the Home Depot. I believe that I could remove more paint in less time with a drywall taping knife on my hands and knees. Actually, I removed more of the coating with a surface cleaner and pressure washer. This hexpin attachment seems like a good idea, and it may work wonders if the paint you're removing from a concrete floor is a Behr, Sherwin Williams, or other lower quality paint. However, if you have a high quality paint on your floor, don't waste your money renting-$77/day or buying-$750 this contraption. (By the way, the local Home Depot is trying to sell their hexpin rental unit for $250 if you need an extra large paperweight.)

Posted 2012-11-18T02:58:15+0000  by jgrah

Hello Jerelement!

I contacted a store in Oklahoma City for you ... commonly referred to as West Reno.

They have this tool and their Tool Rental Associate said, "Most of the stores in the area have had them in the past."

This buffer add-on is referred to as the "hexpin surface prep" kit and uses carbide tips to remove adhesives and paint from the surface of concrete.

Just call your local Tool Rental Associate and they will help you locate one.

NOTE: I called at least one Oklahoma City store that does not have a Tool Rental Department ... be sure to call and verify that the tool is in stock before going to the store.

THE HOME DEPOT app for iPhone and Android has a store locator that uses the phone's GPS to locate the stores nearest you.

Posted 2012-06-05T13:50:44+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Dear Silver, can this tool/ buffer with carbide teeth be rented at a Home Depot store in Oklahoma?

PatInPaint wrote:

Hello Veevaz!

Many (but not all) of the Tool Rental Departments have a buffing machine with a hexpin surface prep system. This tool has carbide tips on a pad that is commonly used to remove glue from concrete floors.

It will do an excellent job removing concrete floor paint as well!

Check in with The Stores in your area and verify who rents this tool ... it should make the job a bit easier.

You'll also want to check with your Flooring Associate about which self-leveling product to use as a filler under tile ... depending upon the type floor your are installing, your floors may not have to be perfectly smooth. The mastic, used to install tile, also acts as a filler.

NOTE: There is a significant fee for cleaning paint and other debris off the buffer. So think ahead and have solvent on-hand to remove any residue before returning the machine.

Posted 2012-06-03T16:09:28+0000  by jerelement

Hello Veevaz!

Many (but not all) of the Tool Rental Departments have a buffing machine with a hexpin surface prep system. This tool has carbide tips on a pad that is commonly used to remove glue from concrete floors.

It will do an excellent job removing concrete floor paint as well!

Check in with The Stores in your area and verify who rents this tool ... it should make the job a bit easier.

You'll also want to check with your Flooring Associate about which self-leveling product to use as a filler under tile ... depending upon the type floor your are installing, your floors may not have to be perfectly smooth. The mastic, used to install tile, also acts as a filler.

NOTE: There is a significant fee for cleaning paint and other debris off the buffer. So think ahead and have solvent on-hand to remove any residue before returning the machine.

Posted 2012-04-26T13:21:57+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+