Sign In to join the community | Help
Bath & Faucets

Removing a toothbrush tile holder, only to discover its a granite brick in the wall

I had a few tasks around my apartment that a local handyman was taking care of for me - one of which was removing the tile toothbrush holder in my bathroom so that shelving over the toilet could be placed there. 

During removal, he came to discover that this wasn't your average toothbrush holder. It was  granite brick about 4 or more inches into the wall!! He made the tile as flush to the wall as he could, but it still doesn't look right (see attached). Any ideas on how to repair? I would love to just put a new 3x6 tile over this area and call it a day...

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-05-27T20:08:17+0000  by en29 en29

Hey en29,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community.

And also thanks for uploading your image to better explain your situation.

If this is as flush as you stated, you can next opt for using a small hand-held grinder and/or oscillating tool to get at least 1/4" to 3/8" sunk into the wall. 

The thing you'll need to remember is not removing everything; but have that space mentioned earlier so tile mastic/mortar and the tile can successfully fit flush once the install is complete.

That's assuming your subway tiles are 1/8" in depth, but double check this. Any grinding deeper than 3/8" isn't necessary with that depth of tile.

A great tool that works for grinding stone in a small area would be a multi-use oscillating tool. You may need more than one bit, but it works great for the enclosed space you have.

Shown below in action on wood, you can easily grind down the granite to a proper depth using an oscillating tool like this one by Dremel. Just make sure you use the proper stone/masonry grinding bit to get the job done.

Since you live in an apartment, I'm sure you already have or will check with the leasing office/landlord to ensure if you can do this. Or if they have a maintenance person who can do this for you as well.

Let us know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2016-05-28T14:08:43+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+