Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Answered

Removing an old floor in bath

I'm looking at redoing my bathroom, and the first thing that really needs to go is the floor.

It looks like the last owner put the floor down first, and then the vanity and toilet. How would I go about removing what I think is laminate or hardwood?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2010-10-10T23:21:02+0000  by samsambuca samsambuca

If you are removing just linoleum, I'd just get a utility knife and cut around the vanity.  Linoleum is easy to cut through.

If you are removing tile, I'd remove the vanity.  Most are not that hard to remove.  It's probably just screwed into the wall.  You may need to take off the countertop first though.

GL and post pics when you are done!

~Allison @ House of Hepworths

Best Answer

Posted 2010-10-12T13:50:46+0000  by houseofheps
You can probably cut the old flooring around the vanity and install your new flooring around the vanity. I probably wouldn't do that with the toilet as the it might look funny to have your flooring come above the toilet pedestal--you'll likely need to remove the toilet, install the flooring and set the toilet back.
Posted 2010-10-11T20:41:33+0000  by jchanger

Hey samsambuca,

If you are a new DIYer, you may want to try removing the vanity first. In a bathroom, working space is at a premium and moving the vanity out of the way could be a big help.  Also cutting around a vanity and making it look good is no easy task. You’re working in a tight space and a lot of new DIYers may not have the tools or the skill to take on such a task. Again, it all depends on your experience level. Please share a picture of your project with the community once it is complete.

Mike

Posted 2010-10-11T23:51:30+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Hi all and welcome to the community , I would agree with houseofheps that it shouldn't be so hard to remove that vanity.  Also it is probably not a good idea to leave hardwood under your vanity for simple reason that it  could hold the moisture down the road. HDAnswerman also had a good point about removing the vanity as it will give you more room to work. My suggestion would be to remove everything of that floor and start from scratch. It will be a little bit more work in the beginning but it will pay off in the end with nice and clean job.

Good luck and post some pictures..

Posted 2010-10-12T21:03:03+0000  by George_HD_CHI

how do i lay peel and stick vinel flooring  on a concret bathroon floor. do i need to seal the floor first the floor is level

Posted 2010-10-19T14:14:12+0000  by sylvan

Hey sylvan welcome to our community. There are few simple steps on how to lay vinyl peel and stick flooring and sealing your concrete does not fall in to any of these steps. First step would be to thoroughly clean your floor and to make sure there is no an old adhesive, rough spots or greasy spots. Simple dishwashing detergent and warm water will do it, but if there is an old adhesive you need to put down some boiling water, boiling water will penetrate in to the adhesive and make it easier to remove. Using one of these floor strippers your softened adhesive should come off easily, especially on concrete floor. And remember to always wear appropriate safety equipment.

QEP

Finally once your floor is clean and dry you can go ahead measure two opposite walls and determine center of the room by snapping a chalk line. Also you should start laying you tile from the center of the room so that you have all of the same cuts on all four sides. Good luck and post some pictures.

Posted 2010-10-19T19:05:15+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Hi folks,

I am also in the process of remodeling my master bath. I ripped out the old tile floor, vanity, sink, lights, toilet, everything except the tub. I have purchased the new tile and supplies at Home Depot. My one concern is I could not remove all of the old mortar from the concrete floor. It doesn't stick up that badly but I'm hoping once I spread the new mortar it will fill and gaps. I bought a scraper to try and scrape off the old stuff but it doesn't work at all. Is there a power tool I can use for this or will I be ok laying the new tile without making sure the old mortar is completely removed?

thanks,

Paddy77

Posted 2010-11-02T15:07:16+0000  by Paddy77

Hi Paddy77 and welcome back to our community.

I agree that a hand scraper vs. mortar is a losing battle!  A wide masonry chisel and a hammer at least stands a chance, but you will be very tired by the time your floor is ready to new tile.

While you don’t have to remove every last trace of mortar, your floor should be smooth before you install the new tile.  I can think of a couple of easier ways to remove the excess mortar from your concrete floor.

One would be to use a rotary hammer drill (set to hammer only), with a wide chisel.  Skim this across the floor at a shallow angle to chip off the mortar.  This tool is not the same as the more common cordless hammer drill.  It is much larger and uses bits that won’t fit into a regular drill chuck.  You can rent them at your local Home Depot.  They look like this:

RotaryHammer.jpg

Another choice would be to use a grinder with a masonry disk to knock down the high points.  This will create loads of dust and make it all too easy to end up with a “wavy” floor, which you don’t want.  This may be a workable choice since a bathroom area is relatively small.  A contractor will tend to use the rotary hammer though.

Obviously, dust masks and eye protection are a must for this work.

Hope this has been helpful and if you have any further questions we're happy to help.

Newf

Posted 2010-11-02T16:45:04+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Thanks Newf!

There is no significant high spot on the floor.....any high spots would be 1/8 inch high or less....and the thinset will be spread at 1/4 inch.....do you think I should still use the rotary hammer drill with the wide chisel?

Paddy77

Posted 2010-11-02T16:53:05+0000  by Paddy77

Hey Paddy, thanks for coming back.

This gets to be a judgement call with no "best" answer.  If all the high spots are no more than 1/8" and the floor is otherwise smooth and level, then you could probably get away with using a larger (3/8") trowel to set the tile.  However, it also means that taking out the high spots is not going to be that hard.

The issue I have is that you really need to start with a smooth floor to get the best finished job.  Maybe the rotary hammer is overkill, and a grinder will work better for you.  I have always been taught that a smooth surface is critical to a good job.

I think a few pictures might help if you can post them.

Thanks,

Newf

Posted 2010-11-02T19:07:12+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+