Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Answered

Removing built-in shelf

Our laundry room has a built-in shelf that I'd like to remove.  I'm planning to just remove the screws from the bracket and use a flat screwdriver to pry the bracket and shelf away from the wall, assuming that the screws and paint are all that are keeping the shelf on the wall.

I've never tried anything like this before, so can anyone tell me by looking at the pictures if the shelf is likely attached with something other than screws? (eg: glue that will be difficult to pry apart, or hidden nails of some sort)  I need to know ahead of time if my removal attempt is going to require more than just some spackle and paint to cover over once it's done.  If it helps, my house is a Trendmaker home

My husband won't be happy if I end up doing something that requires a lot of money to fix, so any advice would be appreciated!

STA_2331.JPG

.STA_2330.JPG

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-01-20T19:18:47+0000  by CatQ CatQ

Hello CatQ,

Thanks for the pictures it helps a lot to see the project.

It looks like the shelf is only held up with the screws but you can never tell if the contractor use some type of adhesive behind the boards. I would also think that there is some caulking around the top edge of the counter.

With that said the only thing that I would have concern with is if there is an adhesive behind the boards that it would tear off some of the paper from the drywall. It’s ok if it does it just means there’s a little bit more patching to do.

Another thing that I noticed is that your walls are textured. Once you take the boards off and patch all of the holes your going to have to texture the repaired areas to match the rest of the wall. We sell a spray texture that can be used for repairs.  It takes a little bit of practice to get the right texture so make a couple of small practice runs on a scrap piece of drywall before you start on the wall. 

wall texture.jpg

Before you take out all of the screws make sure and take a utility knife and carefully cut around all edges. This will release the top and boards from the paint and caulking. Then take out all of the screws from the bracket and hopefully it will come off easily. Becareful because it looks like the bracket is the only thing besides the caulking that is holding the top in place.

utility knife.jpg

Now use a putty knife to wedge in between the wall and the board to try and get them to come off. Don’t use a flat head screw driver because it will damage the wall. If you have to pry it off than use a putty knife to protect the wall and use the claw side of a hammer or a small prybar to pry it off.

putty knife.jpg                     ultra bar ll.jpg

Don’t worry if there is some damage to the drywall. Drywall is one of the easiest and least expensive thing to repair.

Now it’s time to repair and texture the area. Don’t forget to use PVA primer on all of the repaired area before you go to paint.

PVA Primer.jpg

I Hope this has given you the answers that you were looking for.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask. The community is always here to help.  

Best Answer

Posted 2012-01-20T21:16:46+0000  by Christine_HD_OC
thanks for all the advice. really quick question - if the boards are glued to the wall, any advice on what products you would use to remove it? or just use the same tools suggested above but more caerfully? thanks!
Posted 2012-01-28T15:44:08+0000  by CatQ

Your welcome CatQ.

I would still use the putty knife to try and separate the boards from the drywall. Most of the time you can take the putty knife and just push it in between them while slightly pulling on the board to get it to release.

If you can't get a good grip on the board you can screw a couple of screws into it and use them as a handle to pull on the board. Make sure and use a pair of gloves to protect your hands. Screws sometimes have very small metal shavings on them. Take it from me you can't see them, but you sure can feel them once their in your finger.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I would love to help. 

Posted 2012-02-01T15:54:09+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+