Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Removing floor glue from new hardwood floors

Hello,
My parents just had new hardwood floors installed about two weeks ago. The people who  installed them said the glue marks that were left on the new floors would wear off over time. My parents, not knowing any better, accepted that answer. However, in looking into this more it seems that true professionals would not leave the amounts of glue that these people did. It is throughout the whole house and very obvious. In reading, it also seems that the longer the glue sits, the more damage is done and eventually the glue may wear off but there will also be a permanent spot. Its very unfortunate that these people left the new floors in this condition. 

I have been looking at ways to try and remove these glue spots, and it seems Bostik adhesive remover is the most popular. But I wanted to get some opinions before jumping the gun. I also want to make sure that whatever method is used will not damage the new floors. So any information would be helpful and much appreciated!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-06-16T21:36:43+0000  by Jstig Jstig

Hey Jstig,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

Depending on the severity and amount of dried glue on the floor will determine the best way to remove it. 

And you are correct, true professionals would not of left the new hardwood floors in the state they were with all that glue remaining. 

If you have small, thin areas of affected hardwood floors, you can opt for using the Bostik's Best adhesive remover as you stated in your question.

Be mindful that some adhesive removers if done liberally can remove not just the glue, but also the urethane clear coat and even the stain itself on the hardwood floors.

In the case of thicker or abundant areas of leftover adhesive, you can apply the Bostik's adhesive remover as well as a scraper. 

Ultimately though, any scrubbing and removal done by a Scotch pad, sandpaper, or steel wool can and most likely damage at least the top coat of urethane of the hardwood flooring.

My first bit of advice would be primarily to focus on the removal by using the Bostik adhesive remover first without the use of additional tools or harsher chemical removers. 

Only then can you see if you need to use scrapers or abrasive pads like I mentioned earlier alongside other liquid adhesive remover products. This can and will unfortunately remove the clear top coat of polyurethane placed over the planks.

You would have to recoat the hardwood floors again with a floor-rated polyurethane, but it's still better than refinishing the entire floors all the down to the staining of the original planks.

Let us know the severity of your situation by way of pictures or more detailed descriptions of what is going on. Once you let us know that, then we can get the best option for you.

Hope to hear from you again,

Joseph

Posted 2018-06-18T18:00:26+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+