Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Removing laminate from countertop

I want to replace the old laminate  on my countertop. What is the best way to remove it and then prep for new ? The cost of a whole new C top is beyond my budget.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-01-29T19:44:08+0000  by MTWallet MTWallet

The way your question is written I would assume this: You want to remove the countertop and use the current countertop substrate (particle board) and apply new laminate sheet using contact cement. This can be done but your are going to spend a lot of time doing it this way.  I think you’ll also find once you add up the cost of laminate sheets and the cement, it will be the same or more than the cost of pre-fabricated countertops they sell at HD.  If you are looking to change it up on the cheap then paint them.  I have never done this but would be the easiest and cheapest way to change them outside of leaving it the way it is.

Paint:  http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1v/R-202885350/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=countertop+paint&storeId=10051

Posted 2013-01-30T00:33:04+0000  by jwatkins82

If the existing countertops are tight and in generally good condition, new laminate may be glued right on top the old. You should rough up the old surface with sandpaper to help assure good adhesion. Laminate is applied with Contact Cement. There are both water based and solvent based versions. My experience is that the solvent based is stickier and faster drying, if somewhat strong in odor.

Laminate is actually not that hard to work with, but it does require a few tools, most importantly a dedicated laminate trimmer or convention router with a  laminate trimming bit.

If you have never worked with laminate, I would suggest looking at the  how-to videos on You Tube. There are several tricks for getting the laminate positioned before "contact" is made. As the name implies, once contact has been made with the two glued parts, they are very difficult to separate.

Hope this has given you some helpful ideas.

Posted 2013-01-30T05:33:05+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+