Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Removing old exposed brick

Hi there,

I just recently purchased my first home and am already swimming in ideas for projects I want to take on.  One of the biggest ones has to do with my entry foyer. The way it is set up is that my house used to be a home with a detached garage that a previous owner then joined to the main home with a small addition between the two structures. Unfortunately, when they did this, they did sort of a lazy job (or so I thought) with the walls. They put a thin layer of crummy plaster over top the old brick and then painted it. While it doesn't look terrible, I am really wanting to revamp this room and have a nice entryway when I walk into my home.

What I would really like to do would be to remove the brick that lines the walls of the entry way and replace it with sheetrock to give it a clean appearance. How difficult would it be to remove the brick from those walls and do this?

Thanks for your help in advance
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-06-23T03:42:36+0000  by jwojcik jwojcik

Hi jwojcik!

Every renovation project has that first step ... demolition.

In your case, demolition should be relatively easy.

Start by asking your Tool Rental Associate to show you the Hammer Drill.

This tool has a chisel attachment that will work like a mini-jack hammer to help break the brick free from your wall.

Before beginning, cover the air conditioning returns and vents in that area to prevent circulating dust throughout your home.

In addition, cover the existing floor with a layer of thick cardboard covered with thick plastic.

This will prevent damaging the floor and will make it easier to remove the debris.

Check the wall for any electrical or water supplies and turn off their breaker or water stop before beginning.

Plan ahead to repair or replace flooring where the renovation exposes the sub-floor.

Once the old wall is down, inspect the wall frame and make revisions as needed.

Repair the exposed sub-floor and then install wallboard or your preferred wall material.

As with any renovation, budget about 15-percent more than expected to cover the unexpected.

NOTE:
While many homeowners are reluctant to destroy walls, most are very pleased when their renovation is complete.
Posted 2015-06-23T16:05:01+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Hello jwojcik, and welcome to the community!

My associate Pat makes a good suggestion, but have you thought of just adding a 3/4" thick layer of plywood, attaching that to the brick, then install 1/2" drywall on top?

Then you would not have to remove the 3-4 inches of brick & plaster, and not to mention the clean up of the heavy bricks and whatever else is behind the bricks. If you're ok with adding a little more than an 1-1/2" to the existing brick wall, this would be a less involved and less messy.

Angelo

Posted 2015-07-02T13:43:52+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+