Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Removing shingles

What do I do first? And what materials do I need?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-07-07T17:32:51+0000  by MLS MLS

Hi MLS, this is Mike The Home Depot Answer Man,

Welcome to the community.

You didn’t indicate if you are removing the entire roof, or just a few singles.

To remove a few shingles for repair, you can purchase a" shingle nail remover". This tool allows you to remove the nails holding a shingle in place, without disturbing the surrounding shingles. You then can slide the new shingle in place and nail it down.

To remove your entire roof, a” roofer’s shovel” is the tool of choice. This tool has teeth to pull up the shingles and the nails at the same time. You slide it under the shingles and use the tool to lift them up and off of the roof.

If you’re planning to remove the entire roof, you will need to have a rental dumpster delivered to your home. These are usually placed in the street in front of your house, so you can discard the shingles as you remove them

Next place plywood sheets in front of any windows near your working area to protect them and the surrounding

plants.

Rent a safety harness and be sure to have the rental company train you on its’ proper use.

You will also need a wheelbarrow to transport the old shingles to the dumpster, as well as a hard hat, rubber soled

shoes, work gloves and plenty of sunscreen and cold drinks.

Start at the bottom and work your way across the roof, removing one row at a time. Slide them off the roof, and have a helper load them in a wheelbarrow and take them to the dumpster.  Work on one row at a time

Make sure all the nails have been removed and lay plywood down as your move up and nail it in place for a good platform to work on as you move up the roof.

When you have all the shingles off, clean up the area on the ground, paying special attention to any nails dropped during the job.  Be sure to have plenty of tarps handy in case of a sudden storm. You don’t want your house flooded.

I have included two links below showing the tools I mentioned.

I hope this answers your question

Mike,

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/tools-hardware/hand-tools/estwing/pro-claw-17-in-contractor-bar-115044.html

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/mislich-bros-inc-mini-stripper-265479.html

Posted 2011-07-07T18:59:40+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+