Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Removing wallpaper

I am taking down wallpaper, and have run into one wall that the wallpaper was painted over, and then wallpapered over. I have been using a steamer which works wonders for the wallpaper itself, but the painted stuff I just cant get off. 

Any suggestions? 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-02-08T03:19:40+0000  by Newhomeowner Newhomeowner

Hello Newhomeowner,

Congrats on the home and welcome to the community.

The key to removing any wallpaper is to re-wet the water-based adhesive that hold the paper to the wall. As you found with the single layer, this is a relatively simple task ... just a bit messy and time consuming.

In the case of layer upon layer with paint sandwiched in between, you are going to need to pierce the layers using a Paper Tiger. The sharp metal teeth will cut openings through both layers and allow you to reach the adhesive that is holding the layered paper to the wall.

pprtgr.jpg

This picture shows three of my favorite products for removing paper ... the PT is on the right. In the middle is another excellent product, DIF Concentrate Liquid Wallpaper Stripper. The instructions recommend mixing with "warm water." I often use this product with water that is as warm as I can stand to touch without burning myself. The key to success with this product is to apply a layer over the whole wall (after piercing with the PT), allow that layer to absorb for five minutes and apply another layer. Repeat with a third layer before beginning removal.

Three layers of "wetting" will usually make even the toughest wallpaper come off.

If you were removing paper from an entire room, you would do one wall or section at a time to prevent the wall from drying while you worked in another area. However, since you are working on only one wall, you should be able to wet the entire wall and remove the paper before it dries.

NOTE: The Paper Tiger is designed to pierce the paper and it commonly pierces the wallboard as well. This creates a secondary repair which includes spackling and sanding the wall to smooth the pierced areas. On most single-layer wallpaper removal jobs, I do not recommend that you use the Paper Tiger as a first option. Try using three layers of the wetting solution first and then if the paper does not come off use the PT. Multiple layers almost always requires piercing.

Posted 2011-02-08T12:34:51+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Awesome! Thanks to Home Depot, I'm redoing a hallway bathroom. The wallpaper matches the bee-YOO-tee-ful Harvest Gold fixtures.

Have a great day!

Debbie

Posted 2011-02-08T20:43:15+0000  by debster0311

Excellent Debster0311!

You know, that brings up an idea that hasn't been discussed on the Community very much ... buying wallpaper and putting it up to enhance the decor of a room.

In my Store, wallpaper was removed from the shelves almost 5 years ago.

But The Home Depot still sells wallpaper online. Click here to see some of the papers available.

So, while many of my customers come to the Store looking for ways to remove wallpaper, an increasing number are showing up looking for wallpaper to include in their design.

Explore the ideas online but remember that colors on your monitor do not always match the exact color of the paper.

Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm for the project. If able, post a picture so we can share your "view."

Posted 2011-02-24T15:19:24+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Coat over the wallpaper with Original Kilz (The stinky oil based stuff) and "Putty coat " The wall with joint compound. (Skim a thin layer of compound over the wall then sand when dry) Prime the new surface with water based primer (because that oil reallys smells lol)  and repaint .

Your done.

Posted 2011-03-21T18:40:59+0000  by paintguy606

Rather than using the Paper Tiger , which can cause significant damage to the walls, I always preferred to sand the wallpaper first with 36 grit sandpaper. You do not have to sand down to the drywall, but merely scratch through the outer plastic coating of the wallpaper and the inks. Once you see the white of the wallpaper, that is enough. Now the water can reach the paste which lies underneath.

Posted 2013-05-19T03:06:26+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+